2013 Family Fun Festival: Caribbean Music, Zines & Hula Hoops | Berkeley
>> Want to see our Top Picks for this week instead?
MLK Jr. Civic Center Park (Berkeley) | 2151 Martin Luther King Jr. Way, Berkeley, CA
The Ecology Center Farmers’ Markets’ ninth annual Family Fun Festival is “a whole day of free fun for the whole family” featuring live Caribbean music, zine making, hula hoop contests, egg carton castle building and more from 10 am to 3 pm on June 1, 2013 at the Berkeley Farmers Market on MLK and Center.
2013 Family Fun Festival
Saturday, June 1, 2013 | 10 am to 3 pm
Berkeley Farmers Market, MLK Jr St. and Center St., Berkeley
- 11 am to 2 pm – Hula Hoop Contests (who can keep it going longest)
- Noon – Asheba performing Caribbean music for children. His 2009 CD, In the Kid Zone, was on the Grammy Award nominations ballot for “Best Musical Album for Children.” He’s headlined two Putumayo Kids’ Records national tours and been featured on three of their compilation CDs. His award winning recordings have been featured on in-flight kids’ programming on both United and Continental Airlines.
- 1 pm – Family Dance (everyone is invited)
- 11 am to 3 pm – Skateboard Contest
- 10:30-11:30 am & 2-3 pm – “Strawberry Walks” (like a cake walk only you win strawberries)
Ongoing 10 am to 3 pm:
- Bouncy House (YMCA)
- Build Giant Castles from boxes and egg cartons, make straw rockets, and more with Sticky Art Lab
- “Create-With-Nature Zone” with environmental artist Zach Pine – a collaborative artistic expression with stones, branches, shells, pine cones, flowers, and other wonders of nature
- DOOF (FOOD backwards): Spin the DOOF WHEEL and answer Fun Food Trivia Questions to win special prizes. Enter a raffle by submitting your coolest extraterrestrial character or food drawing for a chance to contribute a drawing or record your own voice for the Planet DOOF computer game for kids
- Eazy Breezy Bike Smoothies created by pedal power (for purchase)
- Face Painting (YMCA)
- Farm Animal Encounter Area (baby goats, chickens, pigs, etc.) courtesy of Riverdog Farm and Redwood Hill Farm.
- Farm Fresh Choice, the Ecology Centers’ food justice program
- Green Branch “reading room” — local justice and environmentally themed library for youth of all ages and their families and educators.
- Hands-On Craft Booth–making hats, crowns, and masks with the East Bay Depot for Creative ReUse
- Painting with Glob (of Berkeley’s) fruit and veggie based paints.
- Soccer for children and parents (YMCA)
- Zine Making Station for kids and adults with Rad Daddies & Mamas. All the materials to create your own zine and share your story. (Rad Dad, SF Bay Guardian’s Best Local Zine, 2011; Utne Magazine’s Independent Media Award for Best Zine, 2009.)
Links: Event detailsCost: FREE
**Annual Event**, East Bay, Fairs & Festivals, Fun & Games, Kids & Families, Literature, Live Music