Caltrain 150th Anniversary Celebration & Festival | Santa Clara
>> Want to see our Top Picks for this week instead?
Santa Clara Caltrain Station | 1001 Railroad Avenue, Santa Clara, CA
Saturday, January 18, 2014
Saturday | Caltrain 150th Anniversary Celebration & Festival
Caltrain marks 150 years of railroad service between San Francisco and San Jose with a birthday party at the Santa Clara Caltrain Station on January 18, 2014 from 11 am to 3 pm that both celebrates the past and looks forward to the next 150 years.
Following speeches, there will be a free community festival filled with booths and exhibits by local rail enthusiasts and historical groups, food and entertainment.
- The Tech Museum of Innovation
- Off the Grid food trucks
- Historic exhibits from Peninsula museums and associations
- The Diablo Valley Shortline Railroad
- A vintage bus from the Pacific Bus Museum
- The Native Sons of the Golden West antique US Mail Mud Wagon
- Caltrain Modernization and California High Speed Rail
- Speakers include: U.S. Rep. Anna Eshoo, U.S. Rep. Jackie Speier, CA Senator Jerry Hill, and more
The History of Caltrain
The San Francisco and San Jose Railroad was completed Jan. 16, 1864 and thousands attended the celebration in San Jose marking the completion of the line between the two cities.
The railroad, known today as “Caltrain,” is the oldest railroad in the West with continuous passenger service, and Caltrain plans a wide variety of events and activities to commemorate the big anniversary year. The anniversary theme is “Opening New Frontiers for 150 Years.”
Free Caltrain Rides
A special 150th Anniversary train, FREE to the public, will depart from San Francisco and return from Santa Clara.
- San Francisco 9:40 a.m.
- Millbrae 9:56 a.m.
- Burlingame 10:04 a.m.
- San Carlos 10:20 a.m.
- Menlo Park 10:28 a.m.
- Palo Alto 10:36 a.m.
- Santa Clara 11 a.m.
- San Jose Diridon 11:05 a.m.
- San Jose Diridon 12:25 p.m.
- Santa Clara 12:30 p.m.
- Palo Alto 12:50 p.m.
- Menlo Park 12:54 p.m.
- San Carlos 1:01 p.m.
- Burlingame 1:11 p.m.
- Millbrae 1:18 p.m.
- San Francisco 1:38 p.m.
Links: Event detailsCost: FREE
*Top Pick*, History, KFOG, Kids & Families