Bring Your Own Big Wheel Race 2017
What’s that sound kids? It’s the sound of Big Wheels rolling!
Watch dozens of contestants at Bring Your Own Big Wheel 2017 (BYOBW) risk humiliation and serious injury racing their big wheels (those giant plastic tricycles from when we were kids – no rubber wheels allowed) down the crazy curvy Vermont & 20th streets – the actual curviest street in SF – on Easter Sunday all for glory.
New for 2017: More Kids Time. Kids will be able to ride from 3 pm to 4 pm (with legal guardian permission and supervision). Please clear the streets and be patient while the smaller humans have their time.
This is the perfect way to spend your Easter in between the brunch and your inevitable trip to the emergency room.
17th Annual “Bring Your Own Big Wheel” Race
Sunday, April 16, 2017 | 4-6 pm (kids only: 3-4 pm)
Vermont and 20th, Potrero Hill, SF
– Free to watch / Registration required to race
– $5 to $10 donations requested to race
– Donations accepted to cover event permit costs
Also, absolutely no metal framed trikes, and no metal spokes pegs or pieces of metal sticking out of your rig will be allowed to race with other racers, and nothing but plastic wheels will be allowed, period. Metal framed ‘drift’ trikes are a hazard. They will pull all metal trikes. Plan accordingly.
This event is all about making a fool out of yourself on a child’s plastic wheeled toy, not accidentally slicing or impaling your fellow riders.
BE RESPECTFUL IF YOU PLAN ON ATTENDING – This event can get very crowded with limited views, and porta potties are scarce. So for spectators it may not be worth attending. And if you leave trash behind or trespass on people’s property, you’ll risk having the neighbors complain and the event permit could be canceled. Don’t be the dick that causes this to happen.
Also, be forewarned, there is a zero tolerance policy; smoking and alcohol are banned at the event.
- Leave no trace: This is a pack in/pack out event, so take everything home with you (even your trash)
- No Smoking & No Alcohol – The cops are very clear about this; otherwise the permits will NOT be issued next year
- Be respectful of neighbors – Only roll on the street closure area
- Donate $5 or more if you can – Event costs organizers several thousand dollars for permits; help them keep this great event going
- Please be respectful of neighbors & volunteers, use the portapotties and PICK UP GARBAGE. Even if it isn’t yours, gasp… They have an amazing team of volunteers who will be happy to receive and sort garbage and recycling. Make your mom proud.
- Parking sucks – Take Muni
- The Fuzz is in Full Force: Please be aware that the police will be on hand checking IDs to put the kabosh on underage drinking, but remember, alcohol is banned for everyone.
Need a Big Wheel for the race?
Search on eBay – There were many between $30 and $80
Search for Tricycles & Big Wheels on Craigslist
And of course, try the thrift stores – Goodwill, Salvation Army, Thrift Town, etc…
Photo Credit: Bhautik Joshi
A few words about costs from the organizers:
City costs always seem to go up every year and we are our usual several thousand (no lie) in the red so donations through paypal – using the button on the right of this screen – are very much appreciated. I absolutely hate asking for money, especially during these uncertain times for so many of us in the city but if BYOBW puts an ear to ear grin on your face the likes of which you haven’t experienced since your childhood and you have some extra dosh, please donate.
Submitted by Johnny Funcheap