The Shire of Cloondara (the San Francisco branch of the Society for Creative Anachronisms, who re-create the customs, combat and courtesies of the Middle Ages) invites you to attend “DeBARDchery,” its annual archery and bardic tournament in Golden Gate Park on Saturday, August 18, 2012.
That means you get to watch people dressed in middle ages garb match their mirth, merriment and archery skills (including using novelty targets) followed by a medieval poetic composition.
- Watch people dressed in middle ages garb match their mirth, merriment and archery skills (including using novelty targets)
- Medieval poetic composition from the same era
- Bid on your favorite archer and win fabulous prizes
- Compete for the Title of Bard of Cloondara
- Present a poem, song or story on the following theme: Robin Hood
- Please bring a dish to share based on your SCA names: A-J dessert, K-R side dish or salad, S-Z main dish.
This event is free and open to the public. The organizers ask that you make an attempt at pre-1600s garb. If you don’t have any clothes that might pass, they have loaner tunics for you.
>> Please RSVP Victor Maximus at Element12137@gmail.com so that they can make sure to bring enough tunics
Want to Participate? The only requirements are that your bow be a traditional bow (e.g. recurve, longbow, etc.) and not a compound bow and that your arrows be made of wood with feather fletching. Fiberglass bows are okay. You should make a good attempt at medieval garb and they’ll have some loaner clothing available on site.
Just want to watch? Members of the public are also welcome to participate in games held throughout the day and to join in on our bardic competition at the end of the day by offering a song, story or poem based on the Robin Hood. Come dressed for the appropriate century
Fairs & Festivals
Submitted by Johnny Funcheap