Memorial Day Parking Rules in San Francisco
And if that wasn’t enough… there’s the insanely complex, nearly impossible to decipher conflicting parking signs and rules.
Thankfully on Memorial Day 2012 the city of San Francisco is going to reward you with a ticket-free day of parking… sort of…
Memorial Day 2012 Parking Rules Overview:
FREE PARKING (i.e. Not Enforced)
- Street Sweeping: Not enforced (M-F street sweeping that is… the few streets that have 7-day street sweeping – like Market Street – will still be enforced)
- Residential Permit Parking: Not enforced
- Commuter Towaway: Not enforced
- Green Zone: Not enforced (short term parking – usually 10 mins Monday-Saturday 10am to 6pm)But please note….
- Hazards are always subject to tickets and towing
- Posted 1-2 hour parking time limit areas and Night-Time Seven-Day-a-Week Street Sweeping (such as Market Street) will be enforced.
- Meter customers are advised to check parking meters to verify enforcement time limits and amounts.
- Parking Meters: Enforced. Yes, you have to pay your stupid meter even on a holiday.
Like all days you are allowed to park at a broken meter, but the posted time limit still applies.
- Red Zone: Enforced
- Blue Zone: Enforced (Handicap)
- Posted 1-2 hour parking limits: Enforced
- 7 Day a Week Nighttime Street Sweeping: This everyday street sweeping such as along Market Street is still enforced even on holidays
- Yellow Curbs : Commercial loading & unloading parking zones are enforced, but there’s no tow-away. (you can still get a ticket)
- White Zone: Passenger loading zones are enforced (5 minute limit), but only while the business (and some apartment buildings) is open – if the business that paid for the zone (usually the one right in front of the white zone) is closed, it’s free parking. (Beware… some businesses are 24 hours even though they may look closed – Our parking enforcement source recommended you find a security guard for the building and ask.)
- Green Zone: Enforced (short term parking – usually 10 mins Monday-Saturday 10am to 6pm) - Please note that we’ve received conflicting information as to whether Green Zones are enforced on Holidays that fall within Monday through Saturday – Parking Enforcement HQ told is it IS enforced, while our on-the-street meter-dude told us Green Zones are NOT enforced on holidays… so be cautious.
Submitted by Johnny Funcheap