San Francisco Turns Into Gotham City
Come join the Make-A-Wish Foundation for a fun-filled day of everything Batman as San Francisco becomes Gotham City on November 15, 2013.
The city, along with hundreds of volunteers will be granting the wish of 5-year-old Miles to be Batman. In his daily life, Miles is battling a very real foe in the form of leukemia. He loves superheroes and for one day in November, he will get to be Batman and save Gotham from the evil Penguin.
They plan on having hundreds of volunteers and donors collected to cheer and thank little Batman and a great opportunity to make one little boy’s wish come true. Hat tip: SFist
>> RSVP to Cheer at City Hall
– Bring hand-made signs of encouragement like “Thank you, Batkid!”
>> RSVP for a Flashmob at Union Square: Join the Official Make-A-Wish Flashmob (Noon to 1 pm)
Catch the action as Miles becomes Batkid in one of several different locations around the city, and cheer him on as he fights crime and battles villains.
Here’s how you can participate:
- 12:45 pm: Union Square – Look on as a flashmob warns Batkid that Mr. P has kidnapped Lou Seal and see them speed away from Union Square. Please note that Union Square has the ice rink and the Christmas tree, so it’s not going to be as spectator friendly as was originally hoped.
- 2 pm: A massive celebration at City Hall at 2 pm as SF Mayor, Ed Lee, and the Police Chief present Miles with a key to the city and congratulates him on a job well done. This is the best place for spectators to come cheer as they can handle the crowds.
- 10:30 am: Watch him rescue a damsel in distress, who is tied up across the Hyde Street cable car line | Russian Hill – 1900 block of Hyde Street between Green and Union streets – Small location – We’re told it is not very spectator-friendly.
- 11 am: See him catch his nemesis as he attempts to rob a vault | Financial District – 550 Montgomery Street near Clay – Small location – We’re told it is not very spectator-friendly.
- 12:45 pm: See a villain kidnap Lou Seal and drive off being chased by Miles | Union Square – Good for spectators
- Read all about it: The San Francisco Chronicle will be passing out 1,000 copies of a special-edition “Gotham City Chronicle” in Union Square with a special story written by Clark Kent and Lois Lane. We’re pretty sure copies will be free, but bring along a bit of cash, just in case.
- 1 pm: Watch as Batkid arrives at AT&T Park at 3rd and King side to apprehend the villain and free Lou Seal. | AT&T Park – We’re told this is not very spectator-friendly.
- 2 pm: Join in a massive celebration at City Hall at 2 pm as SF Mayor Ed Lee gives Miles the key to the city and congratulates him on a job well done. | City Hall – Polk between McAllister and Grove – Best place for spectators
Schedule is approximate and subject to change, so please be patient. Schedule and event updates
Submitted by Johnny Funcheap