2018 Earth Day on the Bay: Live Music & Touch Live Sharks | Redwood City
>> Want to see our Top Picks for this week instead?
Marine Science Institute | 500 Discovery Parkway, Redwood City, CA
The Marine Science Institute is honoring Planet Earth with the annual “Earth Day on the Bay” event from 10:30 am to 4 pm on Saturday, April 14, 2018.
They’re open to the public just once a year and they’ve made sure to bundle as much wonder, fun, and knowledge into a single day as possible. MSI’s exclusive combination of music, mud, and sea creatures makes Earth Day an enjoyably edutaining time for all.
- Participate in on-site collection events using REAL scientific equipment (fishing, mud grabs, plankton tows)
- Morning Welcome Music with the Steel Jam band
- Touch Live Sharks, Sea Stars, Crabs, Flounder, Eels, and More
- 2-hr Discovery Voyages aboard our 90′ research vessel -book in advance at http://sfbaymsi.org/earthday – $20 single admission for ship voyage (must be 5yo, all children must be supervised)
- Ocean Critters Arts & Crafts
- Local Business and Environmental Organizations Environmental fair with hands on activities for visitors
- Under the sea photo booths
- Origami microscope workshops with Foldscopes
- Live lunch time entertainment courtesy of the Banana Slug String Band
- Flamin Dogs BBQ on site for great meals to feed the entire family
The Marine Science Institute was founded in 1970, around the time that the issue of water resources was becoming a major concern for many Bay Area inhabitants. The Institute’s philosophy was founded on the idea that putting students in direct physical contact with their local bay environment will help cultivate their natural sense of curiosity, while enriching their understanding of science and fostering a responsibility to protect their environment.