Home » **Annual Event**, *Top Pick*, East Bay, Eating & Drinking, Fairs & Festivals, Lectures & Workshops
2014 “Eat Real” Street Food Festival: Saturday | Oakland
Part street food festival, part county fair, and part block party, the 2014 Eat Real Festival transforms Jack London Square into an epic food festival for three full days of food-centric fun and epicurious education, September 19-21, 2014.
But eating is only part of the fun; they also show you how to make it and grow it. From home cheesemaking to backyard chickens to perfect pie dough, you can explore a DIY lifestyle with demos and activities galore.
All street food at the festival costs $8 or less, and incorporates delicious, regionally-sourced, and sustainably-produced ingredients.
2014 Eat Real Street Food Festival
September 19-21, 2014
– Friday | 1-9 pm
– Saturday | 10:30 am to 9 pm
– Sunday | 10:30 am to 5 pm
Jack London Square, Oakland
FREE entry; all food purchases are cash only
> View Map & Full Schedule
The festival focuses on the following areas of eating and drinking:
- Fermentation – Their most probiotic of pavilions is the place to fulfill all of your fermentation fancies – whether it be pickles, kimchi, kombucha or kraut. Come to the Palm Plaza stage for hands-on kimchi crafting, some SCOBY schooling, and plenty of pickling.
- Farm Craft – All food comes from farms…well, all real food that is. And some chefs really know how to showcase the products they bring straight from farm-to-fork. The Farm Craft Pavilion will fill you wit h the freshest of the fresh – from Vietnamese street treats to vegan soul food. And don’t miss the awesome programming, where you’ll learn to make your own cheese, shuck your own oysters and raise your own hens.
- Confections – A dessert destination, chock full of chocolate-covered everything and frozen treats as far as the eye can see. On stage, pastry wizards will be teaching the art of perfect pie dough and DIY delicacies all weekend long.
- Grains & Milling – Pasta, paella and pizza…oh my. No matter where you stand on the gluten-divide, the Grains & Milling Pavilion has something to please your palate. Come learn about ancient grains, start your own sourdough and even bake a bagel. Carbo-load up on new kitchen know-how.
- Watering Hole – The gathering place for any serious imbiber of craft spirits as well as wine-aficionados, home-brew heroes, coffee geeks and even those tea-totalers among us. Upstairs in DIY Drinks, you’ll learn to mix a mean drink, roast your own coffee, and pair beer with just about anything.
- Meat & Butchery – Calling all conscientious carnivores. Make your way to the Meat & Butchery Pavilion to meet your local butchers and learn the ins & outs of whole animal eating. Masters of meat will wow you with live butchery demonstrations and perfectly barbecued bites.
Kids Zone – At Eat Real, even the smallest of tots can enjoy the whole enchilada. With Kids’ Craft activities all weekend-long and kid-friendly food demos, your little one won’t ever want to leave. Stop by to get at-home agriculture education, crank your own ice cream by hand, have a pickle party with Phat Beets or face-off in an epic Blender Battle brought to you by Sprouts Cooking Club.
*Free admission, but food and drink available for purchase (cash only)
Categories: **Annual Event**
, *Top Pick*
, East Bay
, Eating & Drinking
, Fairs & Festivals
, Lectures & Workshops
Address: Broadway and Embarcadero, Oakland, CA
Submitted by Rena