2013 Free Row Boat Day on Lake Merritt | Oakland
>> Want to see our Top Picks for this week instead?
Lake Merritt Boathouse | 1520 Lakeside Dr, Oakland, CA
Free, but RSVP is encouraged to LTRday@lakemerrittrowingclub.org. Drop-ins are also welcome.
The event will include:
- Boathouse tour to get acquainted with rowing equipment and facility
- Introduction to rowing terms
- Instruction on the basic rowing stroke using an ergometer (rowing machine)
- A short row on Lake Merritt in 8-person racing shells to try out your new rowing skills on water
- Learn about regular rowing opportunities at LMRC (membership, teams, etc)
Sessions will be held from 11 am to 4pm. Participants should plan to arrive no later than 3 pm. Participants must be at least 12 years of age. Minors (under the age of 18) must be accompanied by a parent/legal guardian.
Wear comfortable, tight-fitting athletic clothing (loose clothing can get in the way), socks, hat, sunglasses, sunscreen, and bring a bottle of water.
The Lake Merritt Rowing Club is open to all community members who wish to learn the sport of rowing or refine their competitive skills. Since 1962, the club has provided a wide range of rowing programs for all ages and skill levels. The novice programs include Summer Youth Rowing (an introductory summer program for Oakland youth), sculling lessons, and sweep lessons. The member programs include the Mixed Intermediate Crew for recreational and intermediate level rowers, the Senior Men’s Crew and Senior Women’s Crew for advanced rowers, and San Francisco Bay Blades, a primarily lesbian and gay group within LMRC.