National Puzzle Day 2014 Competition | Redwood City
>> Want to see our Top Picks for this week instead?
Kainos | 2555 Middlefield Rd., Redwood City, CA
Free to watch, but there’s a $15 registration fee per participant to enter the puzzle competition.
The challenge: Teams of 4 people will compete to build a 1,000 piece puzzle the fastest. The winning team earns $500, with prizes for 2nd and 3rd place as well. Free puzzle given to every contestant.
Free activities typically include:
- Cheering on the teams that are competing
- Mini puzzle challenges (some with prizes)
- Live demos by wooden puzzle artisans
- Try cutting a wooden puzzle yourself
- Learn some tidbits about the history of jigsaw puzzles
- Examine displays of very old to very new wooden jigsaw puzzles
- Puzzles and games to try out and for sale
The details may change from year to year, but here are the basics.
- Each team gets the same puzzle
- No one will get to see the puzzle until the starting bell rings
- No team substitutions after the starting bell rings
- Every team will have the same size table
- Each team may bring any props they wish to use during the competition
- No age limit for contestants for competitive level, but there must be one person under the age of 16 on each team in the family level