2016 MLK Jr. Day Celebration: Jazz, Spoken Word & Choir Performances | East Bay
>> Want to see our Top Picks for this week instead?
Piedmont Veteran’s Memorial Building | 401 Highland Ave, Piedmont, CA
The Piedmont Appreciating Diversity Committee (PADC) and the City of Piedmont will host the 19th annual Martin Luther King Jr. Day Celebration at the Piedmont Veterans Hall on January 18, 2016.
The 2016 celebration, themed Beyond Tolerance: The Work is Not Yet Done, will include jazz from Oakland’s Westlake Middle School, vocal performances by Oakland School for the Arts’ Chamber Choir, plus original spoken word pieces by Together We Slam, featuring students from Piedmont Middle School, and Piedmont and High School. Speakers include Piedmont Mayor Margaret Fujioka, U.S. Congresswoman Barbara Lee, and State Assemblymember Tony Thurmond. The event is sponsored by PADC and the City of Piedmont.
2016 Event Program
- 12:45 Doors Open
- 1:00 Welcome Remarks, Alison Feldman and Kobi Eshun, PADC Co-Presidents
- 1:10 Westlake Middle School Jazz Band, Director Randy Porter
- 1:30 Comments by Honorable Tony Thurmond, 15th Assembly District of California
- 1:50 Comments by Honorable Margaret Fujioka, Mayor of Piedmont
- 2:10 Comments by Honorable Barbara Lee, Congresswoman, 13th District of California
- 2:20 Oakland School for the Arts: Chamber Choir, Director Cava Menzies
- 2:50 Closing Song: We Shall Overcome (OSA Chamber Choir and Everyone)
Spoken word performances by Together We Slam will be interspersed throughout the program.
Links: Event detailsCost: FREE
**Annual Event**, *Top Pick*, East Bay, Live Music, MLK Day