Preserving the Harvest: Canning Jam and Salsa | SF
>> Want to see our Top Picks for this week instead?
The School Farm | 555 Portola Drive, San Francisco, CA
Come join EcoSF on July 28, 2012, for a day of preserving the harvest by canning fruits and tomatoes to enjoy through the winter.
Learn everything you need to know about safely canning jam and salsa with a demonstration that you can sample and take home if you’d like (for $3 – $5). They’ll also talk about solar dehydrating and how to make one like theirs.
- 11am – Fire up oven, morning refreshments courtesy of Arizmendi Bakery, and general farm work
- 12pm – Canning 101 – Learn how to safely water bath and pressure can fruits and vegetables to share with your friends and family. They’ll show you each step of the way while we process a local fruit jam and a roasted tomato salsa.
- 1pm – Break for pizza, and other nutritious, delicious potluck foods. Bring something from your garden to share.
- 2pm – Continue to can jam and answer questions about solar dehydration.
- Late Afternoon – More work and hangin out, conversation, eating and being merry.
- Solar ovens and dehydrators (if it’s sunny)
- Rocket stove
- Compost toilet
- Pedal power,
- Earthen structures
- The cob oven
What to Bring: As always, the ovens will be blazing and they’ll provide the dough so bring some pizza toppings, or some other local, seasonal fare to share and compare at our ultra-local potluck. Bring your own utensils if you got em, and musical instruments, parlor tricks and special talents are always welcome too. $3-5 cost to take home a jar o’ jam.