Home Front: WWII Festival By the Bay | Richmond
>> Want to see our Top Picks for this week instead?
Craneway Pavilion | 1414 Harbour Way South, Richmond, CA
The city of Richmond celebrates its special role in the history of modern America and in WWII with its annual “Home Front: Festival By The Bay” on October 13, 2012.
The Craneway Pavillion hosts an all day festival of USO style performances, tributes to real life “Rosie the Riveters”, historic reenactors, flight simulators, WWII-era ship tours and more.
Home Front 2012
October 13, 2012
Craneway Pavillion, 1414 Harbour Way, South Richmond
- Jazz, big band & chorale music
- Karaoke Stage with Ms. PJ
- Craft and Business Vendors
- Food & Beverages
Full bar provided by Malvern Wilson Alumni Association. All food and beverages will be available for purchase.
- Ride in historical 1940s buses courtesy of American Stage Tours
- USS Potomac & SS Red Oak Victory Ship
Catch a historic 1940s shuttle bus from the main entrance of the Craneway Pavilion to visit the historic USS Potomac and SS Red Oak Victory.
- National Park Historical Displays and Junior Ranger Games
- Boy Scouts & American Red Cross
- Kids Zone
- Military Vehicles
- Commemorative Historical Society
- Living historical re-enactors
- Veteran Support Services & Resources
- Write a letter to send to a soldier courtesy of Their Angels
- Rosie the Riveter Reunion & Photo
Photo at 1:30 p.m.
SS Red Oak Victory Ship
The SS Red Oak Victory is a Victory ship preserved as a museum ship. It was one of 414 Victories built during World War II and was constructed at the Richmond Shipyards, but one of only a few of these ships to be transferred from the Merchant Marine to the U.S. Navy. The vessel issued cargo and munitions to various ships in the fleet throughout 1945. Tour the ship and visit the on-board museum. Last year the tours were free (donations accepted) and we expect the same for 2012.
Links: Event detailsCost: FREE*
*most activities are free, though some require nominal chargeFree
Categories: *Top Pick*, East Bay, Event, Fairs & Festivals, Free Stuff, Kids & Families, Recurring – Annual - October