Free Lunar New Year Celebration: Art-making & Lion Dance | San Jose Museum of Art
>> Want to see our Top Picks for this week instead?
San Jose Museum of Art | 110 South Market Street. San Jose, CA
Enjoy free admission to the San Jose Museum of Art and celebrate the Lunar New Year all day from 11 am to 5 pm on January 28, 2017. Welcome the Year of the Rooster with interactive art-making activities and live performances.
Free, but reservations are highly recommended.
This contemporary celebration honors the various Lunar New Year traditions observed by San Jose’s diverse communities. There is something for all ages, so bring the whole family.
2017 Activities include:
- Welcome the new year with another traditional lion dance performance with Rising Phoenix Lion Dance Association
- Take a photo with your favorite lion
- Design a unique noise-maker that mimics the sound of a rooster
- Create an updated paper lantern with a Lunar New Year-themed cutout design
- Explore time-honored techniques while learning to create Chinese knots, and contribute wishes for the new year to SJMA’s Community Wish Tree.
Inspired by traditional Japanese Wish Trees, this collaborative installation will document the hopes and aspirations for 2017. They will also have roaming docents throughout the galleries, and the café will feature kid-friendly additions to their menu.