South First Fridays Art Walk | San Jose
>> Want to see our Top Picks for this week instead?
SoFA District (San Jose) | South First Street and William Street, San Jose, CA
Friday, April 5, 2013
South First Fridays Art Walk | San Jose
Anno Domini - 366 South First Street
- Artist’s Reception: Death Will Tear Us Apart - Mike Egan (Pittsburgh, PA) solo exhibition
galleryTWO: Deciphering the Ash of Effigies - Joseph Loughborough (UK) solo exhibition
Higher Fire Clayspace & Gallery – 499 South Market Street
- Inspired Clay A juried exhibit of 28 sculptural works by 24 artists of the Orchard Valley Ceramic Arts Guild, including prize-winning pieces by Lisa LaRocca, Nancy Niles, and Doris Fischer-Colbrie.
KALEID Gallery - 88 South Fourth Street
- Child-Sight: new works by Leah Jay
- Light and Soul Experiences in Natural and Cultural Landscapes - solo exhibition by LAuruS Myth
MACLA – 510 South First Street
- View the very best of contemporary Latino art from the Bay Area and beyond. Over 50 Latino artists represented through paintings, prints, photographs and mixed-media. In MACLA’s Castellano Playhouse, special guest performances starting at 8pm.
8:30pm The Shotgun Wedding Quintet at San Jose Jazz – Pagoda Restaurant & Bamboo Lounge (170 South Market St.) Free admission.
San Jose Museum of Quilts & Textiles – 520 South First Street
- On view: Folk Indian Textiles from the Collection of Carol Summers and Meditation in Space and Time: Junco Sato Pollack Sutra Chant Hangings and Stitched Mandalas
- Performance: Abhinaya student Ishani Joshi performs The Thillana. A joyous piece containing intricate rhythmic patterns and sculputuresque poses. The concluding lyric of this vivacious finale praises the Goddess Bhuvaneshwari, the universal mother, who resides everywhere in the form of Om, and grants auspiciousness to all.
- Fiber Salon activity: Marginal Embroidery – Who says you need an embroidery pattern to make something awesome? Just like scribbling on a notepad during a phone call, embroidery can be off-the-cuff and lackadaisical. Use your scribble-skills to create a unique fabric accent for pillows, tote bags, or for a wall decoration. All you need is the will to doodle and some simple embroidery skills.
San Jose Stage Company Courtyard – 490 South First Street
- Billy Sheen is an electro-Indie Synth pop trio based out of San Francisco Bay Area consisting of local artists Jesse Huelsenkamp aka G.Willikers(of Rebelskamp), Justin Huelsenkamp aka Tributaries (of Rebelskamp), Benji Renard aka Box and tone/Benji the not, and of course the legendary iconic Billy Sheen of Iceland. A mixture of electronic, tongue and cheek, gothic, melancholy, pop-eighties sound done in a modern mystique of class and style.
Seeing Things Gallery- 30 N. Third Street
- Seeing Things Gallery is proud to announce its South First Friday Art walk show for April 5th is Friendly Fire. The event features collaborative art pieces by Jason Adams and: Chet Childress, Bigfoot, Jai Tanju, Russ Pope, Duane Peters, Joe Brook, Josie Perez-Romandetta, Sid Enck Jr., Dan Drehobl and Noah Olmstead of Vintage Letter Press
Works San José – 365 South Market Street - Each image in this group photography exhibition confronts the transformative nature of time and its impact on human perspective. Yesterday’s villain can become today’s hero as assuredly as last night’s scraps become this evening’s delicacy. The opposite is also true, as beauty inevitably decays.
ZERO1 Garage – 439 South First Street - Experience research in action as the ZERO1 Fellows take over the ZERO1 Garage for April’s South FIRST FRIDAY. Learn more about socially engaged artistic practice through a video screening organized by ZERO1 Fellow Cecilia Galiena. Participate in collaborative storytelling exercises with Fellow Daniela Steinsapir, and explore place-to-place networked communication with Fellow Paula Levine.
Caffé Frascati – 315 South First Street - First Fridays is Caffe Frascati Opera Night presented by First Street Singers, with the Bay Area’s finest opera singers performing your very favorite classical arias and duets live in the cafe!
Downtown Yoga Shala – 450 South First Street - Downtown Yoga Shala is proud to present two new artists in their joint exhibit, Mind, Body, Soul: Collaboration
Eco Monster – 30 North Third Street - EcoMonster participates in the SoFF with the Fruits and Vegetables Art exhibit by Géraldine Adams.
Good Karma Vegan Café – 37 South First Street - Phantom Galleries presents From Chaos new original works by Dylan Kelly // Chaos938 Studios at Good Karma Vegan Cafe.
LGBTQ Youth Space – 452 South First Street - All I See, Are Trees, That Will Be, displayed for the last month of this themed gallery. Artist Pikachu created From Hardships to Acceptance, a clay piece that describes the negative and positive experiences that queer youth face. All made out of flour clay, tempura paint and paper.
Pho69 – 321 South First Street
Psycho Donuts – 288 South Second Street - Psycho Donuts in downtown San Jose is a quirky donut shop and art gallery. The gallery displays top local artists and has an ongoing exhibit featuring the work of John Renzel, Lacey Bryant, Nicolas Caesar, Murphy Adams, Christine Benjamin, Michael Foley, Michael Borja, Valery Milovic, Carlos Villez, Eric Joyner, Laura Callin Bennett, Michelle Waters, John Hageman and Robert McColley
The Studio Rock Climbing Gym – 396 S. First Street - The Studio Rock Climbing Gym presents new works by Terenia Offenbacker.
TechShopSJ – 300 South Second Street - Check out the TechShop San Jose lobby & gallery area, where we’ll be showing off what members have made. TechShop members will also be setting up their tables in the conference room to sell their DIY work.
Art Ark Gallery – 1035 South Sixth Street - Glyph an exhibition that explores the relationship of text and art across a wide variety of media, from painting to installation to book arts. Opening Art Reception Friday, April 5th 6-9pm, with live music by Mark Davis on keyboard and Julian Borrego on bass
Links: Event detailsCost: FREE
*Top Pick*, Art & Museums, Live Music, Recurring - Monthly, Shopping & Fashion, South Bay