USS San Francisco Memorial Ceremony | SF
>> Want to see our Top Picks for this week instead?
USS San Francisco Memorial Park | Ft. Miley, San Francisco, CA
Join the USS San Francisco (CA-38) memorial ceremony on Sunday, May 26, 2013, dedicated to the 100 Sailors and seven Marines killed in action during the Naval Battle of Guadalcanal on November 12-13, 1942.
The ceremony is all for all the men who served, fought and perished during the 17 major battles the Heavy Cruiser participated in during World War II, from December 7, 1941 at Pearl Harbor – “A date which will live in infamy” – to the last battle at Okinawa, and the surrender of Japan on September 2, 1945.”
The USS San Francisco (CA-38) was the first Navy Warship to be awarded the Presidential Unit Citation, by President Franklin D. Roosevelt in 1942.
This day is also dedicated to the men who serve and have served on the Nuclear Submarine USS San Francisco (SSN 711), protecting America for more than thirty years.
2013 Participants and Honored Guests
Chair Of Honor – Dedicated this Special Day to an American Hero, USS San Francisco (CA-38) Shipmate, LCDR Louis M. LeHardy, USN
- Senator Leland Y. Yee, Ph. D.- California State Legislature
- The Honorable Edwin M. Lee - Mayor, City and County of San Francisco
- MajGen J. Michael Myatt, USMC (Ret) - President & CEO, Marines’ Memorial Association
- Lt Col Roger S. Dong, USAF (Ret) - Chairman, San Francisco War Memorial Commission
- CAPT Martin B. McNair, USN (Ret) - Commander, San Francisco Commandery, Naval Order of the United States
- Lt. Angus Blackwood, USN - President, San Francisco Council, Navy League of the United States
- LtCol John R. Stevens, USMC (Ret) - Director, First Marine Division Association
- Sgt Donald F. Reid, USMC - President, The Marine Corps Council
- Cpl Michael Belmessieri, USMC (Ret)
- Commandant, Gen J.C. Breckenridge Detachment #010Marine Corps League, Dept. of California
- CAPT Dennis J. Murphy, USN (Ret) - President, Admiral Daniel J. Callaghan Society
- Buck Kamphausen, USMC - President & CEO, Nautilus Cremation Society
- Christina M. Ramos, Regent, Presidio Chapter - Daughters of the American Revolution
- Golden Gate National Parks Conservancy
- Jennifer Greene Ringgold, Project ManagerGolden Gate National Recreation Area National Park Service
- Jeff Dunning (Ret), Area Representative - American Legion Post 419, Patriot Guard Riders
- James D. Whitaker, Lead Rider - US Naval Sea Cadet Corps
- Band Of The West
- Inst. Michael Toschack, NSCC, Music Director
- Lynne S. Miller, H. O. B.
- Color Guards
- Scottish American Military Society
- Francis McVey, Commander
- RADM William A. Moffett Post 1921
- U.S. Naval Sea Cadet Corps, Arkansas Division
- Capt. Timothy C. Cogan, USN, CO
- Golden Gate Young Marines
- CWO4 Caesar Bataloa, USMC
- Knights of Columbus, St. Francis Assembly #43
- Stafford E. Williams
Links: Event detailsCost: FREE
**Annual Event**, History, Memorial Day, San Francisco