52nd Annual Sand Castle & Sand Sculpture Contest | Alameda
>> Want to see our Top Picks for this week instead?
Robert Crown Memorial State Beach Park | Otis & Westline Drive, Alameda, CA
Submitted by the Event Organizer
Start your creative juices flowing and get ready to bring your shovel and buckets to the beach to create a unique piece of art at the 52nd annual Sand Castle and Sand Sculpture Contest on Alameda’s Robert Crown Memorial State Beach.
This free event (free to compete and free to watch) is a family fun activity to partake in, or you’re welcome to just come down to watch all of the action.
52nd Annual Sand Castle & Sand Sculpture Contest
Saturday, June 2, 2018 | 9 am to 1 pm
– 9-11 am: Registration
– Noon: Judging begins
– 1 pm: Awards Ceremony
Robert Crown Memorial State Beach Park, Otis & Westline Drive, Alameda
Official Contest Rules
- Sand Castles and Sand Sculptures must consist of sand only with the exception of wood, rocks, shells, etc., found on the beach during the day of the contest and used as decorations only. No glass or live animals please.
- No superstructures or permanent forms of any kind shall be incorporated in your structure.
- Sand forms (flower pots, milk cartons, buckets, etc.) may be used, but only as forms.
- The use of shovels, hoes, and spatulas are permitted.
- The castle or sculpture must be confined within the allotted space.
- No collecting of live animals or egg cases from wet beach and mudflat areas.
- Structures must be completed by the deadline time of noon or upon the arrival of the first judge.
Castles and Structures will be judged on the following basis:
- Design – 30 points (originality of subjects and design)
- Detail – 30 points (originality of shape, lines and space)
- Neatness – 20 points (sharp relief, balanced proportions overall)
- Technique – 20 points (use of forms, drip method, shaping of arches, etc.)
Categories for Sand Castle and Sand Sculpture are:
Ages 12 and Under
Ages 13 and Over