Industrial Art & Science Fest: Molten Glass, Metal Ice Casting & Fire Eating | Oakland
>> Want to see our Top Picks for this week instead?
The Crucible | 1260 7th Street, Oakland, CA
Join The Crucible for their annual Spring Open House for a taste of what you can create in the fine and industrial arts. With inspiring and educational demonstrations in nineteen departments, including Neon, Ceramics, Glass Blowing, Blacksmithing, Welding, and more, you will walk away with greater knowledge of how to get started on your next creative pursuit.
2018 The Science of Art: Spring Open House
Saturday, March 31, 2018 | Noon to 5 pm
The Crucible, 1260 7th Street, Oakland
2018 Event Highlights
Catch exciting demonstrations and hands-on activities with their Crucible faculty, such as:
- Molten Glass Formations — Glass blowing demonstration
- Feast of Fire — How fire eating works
- Optics, Eyeballs and Eyebeards — Explaining optics in glass flameworking
- Molding and Casting — The role of physics and chemistry in mold making techniques
- Casting Metal into Ice
- Clay Creations — Work with clay in their ceramics department
- Copper Charms — Create your own copper charms in their jewelry department
- Play with Pigments — Learn about pigments and how they interact with various substances
- Plus, special activities led by prominent science organizations
Art Show – Stroll through a curated gallery featuring pieces selected from The Crucible’s community including faculty, artist studio renters, students, staff and volunteers, showcasing skills learned and perfected through the industrial arts classes. Vote on your favorite three pieces – the winning artist will get free tuition on a Crucible class.
Plus, check out a market row of unique, handmade artisans in the giant warehouse’s Train Bay, as well as a selection of bikes from The Crucible’s bike shop.
Enjoy delicious beer from Old Kan Beer & Co, then take a break outside, snacking on a taco from Villa Rocio’s food truck.
Categories: **Annual Event**, *Top Pick*, Art & Museums, East Bay, Fairs & Festivals, Kids & Families, Lectures & Workshops