420 in the Park: Gigantic Gathering at Hippie Hill | Golden Gate Park
>> Want to see our Top Picks for this week instead?
Hippie Hill | Hippie Hill, San Francisco, CA 94117
“4/20 at Hippie Hill” is a well known San Francisco tradition, bringing tens of thousands of people from all over to Sharon Meadow to celebrate the right to use Cannabis.
In previous years this “festival” has been unpermitted and unofficial. It was awesome, but growing larger every year, with increased violence and the amount of trash left behind was unbelievable. Seriously… it was 11 tons in 2016).
Want to Volunteer to help out 4/20 day? Learn More.
So that all changes in 2017. That’s right, to avoid a shutdown and make sure to make the event safe for everyone, the city actually permitted the event, bringing on sponsorships to help pay for fencing all around the perimeter of Sharon Meadows, increased security, 175 port-o-potties (yes!!), food vendors/trucks, a sound system and DJs for entertainment.
Two Entrances to 420 Hippie Hill Festival – map
- Kezar Dr/John F Kennedy Dr
- Alvord Tunnel entrance, right off Haight/Stanyan
Will you get arrested for 420?
If you’re just enjoying yourself, not being a d*ck and not breaking any of the rules, then you’re probably fine. But note, smoking marijuana is still sadly against Federal law (the state and the city tend to look the other way) – so there’s still always a slight chance of a crack down, but we highly doubt it.
The “Duh” Rules of 4/20 Day
- Don’t leave trash behind (leave-no-trace – bring a garbage bag, fill it up and take it home)
- Don’t bring coolers, tents, glass, generators etc.. into the park
- Don’t destroy anything, hop the fence, push over porta-poties…. i.e. don’t be an asshole.
- Don’t sell anything without a permit – To inquire or apply for permit please email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Selling cannabis is not permitted by anyone
- Don’t trash the local neighbhorhood – if you’re a jerk and peeing in someone’s front garden in the Upper Haight, do you think the neighbors will want this to happen again next year?
Improvements to expect for 2017:
- The event will remain free and open to the community
- A fence line will be put in place to enclose the entire venue
- Food and retail vendors
- Unified sound system for background music
- Increased amount of port-a-potties inside and outside the park and in the Upper Haight areas
- Added security in and outside the park
- Medical Emergency services: EMT & Ambulances on-site
- Dedicated clean up crew for the Upper Haight and surrounding neighborhoods
- Monitored entrances to the event area
- No Minors 18 or under allowed in event area
Items that will not be allowed inside event area this year:
- No Tents, Canopies, Tables, or other structures
- No Unpermitted Vendors – Permits must be obtained through event organizers – no general/ street vendor permits accepted
- No Coolers larger than 9”x12”
- No Barbecues or cooking equipment
- No Amplified Sound Equipment
- No Generators
- No Glass
Links: Event detailsCost: FREE
**Annual Event**, *Top Pick*, 420, Fairs & Festivals, San Francisco, Top Annual Events