SF City Guides Memorial Day 2014 | 9 Free Guided Walking Tours
>> Want to see our Top Picks for this week instead?
All Over San Francisco | San Francisco, CA
If you have the day off on Memorial Day, why not spend part of your day learning something new about the city you love. San Francisco City Guides will be offering nine free guided walking tours on Memorial Day Monday.
All tours are free and open to the public, but donations are welcome.
Memorial Day Walking Tours | SF City Guides
Monday, May 26, 2014
- 9:30 am - Japanese Tea Garden - Learn about the icons of the Japanese Tea Garden and the family that lived there. The Monday morning tour does not require admission.
- 10 am - Chinatown - Explore local alleys and walk among sites of temples and tongs, and shops of joss, dim sum, and herbs.
- 11 am - Sigmund Stern Grove - Discover this 63-acre city park, the jewel of the Sunset District. Walk through beautiful meadows and learn about the area’s colorful history, including how it escaped being turned into a residential community.
- 11 am - Fisherman’s Wharf: A Hidden History - Go behind the scenes of this vital part of San Francisco’s past and present to see great old ships and unexpected vistas.
- 11 am - Bawdy & Naughty - This two-block stroll explores how, starting with the Gold Rush, professional women arrived to become a part of San Francisco’s legend and lore. Learn about Belle Cora, Ah Toy, French parlor houses, and Barbary Coast dives.
- 1 pm - Japanese Tea Garden - Learn about the icons of the Japanese Tea Garden and the family that lived there (garden admission may apply).
- 1:30 pm - Chinatown - Explore local alleys and walk among sites of temples and tongs, and shops of joss, dim sum, and herbs.
- 2 pm - Embarcadero Skyway - Take flight (sort of) as most of this tour is above the ground. View “Rockefeller Center West” from a different angle and discover a hidden urban oasis. Tread on buried ships that once housed saloons, jails, stores and brothels.
- 7 pm - North Beach By Night - The other side of North Beach history – that of its bars, bordellos and beatniks – comes alive on this evening tour.