2014 Winter Solstice Muir Woods Celebration | Marin
>> Want to see our Top Picks for this week instead?
Muir Woods National Monument | 1 Muir Woods Road, Mill Valley, CA
Celebrate the shortest day of the year with the tallest trees on earth. Come rain or shine, dress warmly, and celebrate the winter solstice at Muir Woods from noon to 5 pm.
Muir Woods hosts a winter solstice program that celebrates the shortest day of the year, instead of the longest night.
Event Warning: This is a very small event; Muir Woods is not set up to handle huge crowds, and the amount of parking is woefully small. So if celebrating the winter solstice is a very important event to you, it might be worth the trip, but if you don’t like crowds or are just going on a whim, we recommend you think twice about making the trek as it’s likely to be too crowded to enjoy. Additionally for 2014 the Muir Woods shuttle is not operating and there is expected flooding and Highway 1 closures.
Winter Solstice in Muir Woods
Sunday, December 21, 2014 | Noon to 5 pm
Muir Woods Visitor Center, Marin
FREE - Please note, activities in the woods require an admission fee of $7, but some events are outside the woods and those are free.
Experience a winter wonderland of sights, sounds and fragrances with a day-lit walk among the giant trees.
2014 Solstice Activities:
- Crown and Wreath-making activities, Winter Wanderings through the woods, Tales of Adventure as told by John Muir, and Sounds of the Forest with Dan Dugan
- Live and local, Loosely Knits will perform seasonal songs in the Visitor Center
- Marin’s Morris Dancers
- Light the ceremonial luminaria and welcome the longest night
- Join National Park Service Rangers for some song and dance, followed by storytelling with Ane Carla Rovetta
- Say goodnight to the forest and its inhabitants as the park closes