2013 Winter Solstice Muir Woods Celebration | Marin
>> Want to see our Top Picks for this week instead?
Muir Woods National Monument | 1 Muir Woods Road, Mill Valley, CA
Celebrate the shortest day of the year with the tallest trees on earth. Come rain or shine, dress warmly, and celebrate Winter Solstice at Muir Woods from noon to 5 pm on December 21, 2013.
Muir Woods invites you to a new Winter Solstice program that celebrates the shortest day of the year instead of the longest night.
Winter Solstice in Muir Woods
Saturday, December 21, 2013 | Noon to 5 pm
Muir Woods Visitor Center, Marin
FREE (if walking in the woods, admission fee is $7)
Experience a Winter Wonderland of sights, sounds and fragrances with a day-lit walk among the giant trees.
- 10:30 am to noon: Walk in the woods ($7) and learn the traditional English Morris dance
- Noon to 4 pm (in the plaza): Make a Coho-ho hat, create a Solstice crown and wreath, special art project and storytelling. Seasonal music by Loosely Knits at the Visitor Center
- Noon to 4 pm (in the woods – $7): Story with John Muir, Sounds of the Forest with Dan Dugan, and winter woods walk with a ranger
- 4:30 pm: Light the Ceremonial Fire and Luminaria in front of the Visitor Center
- 5 pm: Join rangers for a special song and program
- 5:30 pm: Quietly say goodbye to the forest
Please note, this is a very small event; Muir Woods is not set up to handle huge crowds, and the amount of parking is woefully small. So if celebrating the winter solstice is a very important event to you, it might be worth the trip, but if you don’t like crowds or are just going on a whim, we recommend you think twice about making the trek as it’s likely to be too crowded to enjoy.
Links: Event detailsCost: FREE*
*Arrive early; parking is very limited. If walking in the woods, admission fee is $7Celebration, Dance, Free, Live Music, Muir Woods, Performance, Solstice
Categories: **Annual Event**, *Top Pick*, Fairs & Festivals, KFOG, Live Music, North Bay, Solstice