SF “Day of Action” Political Rally & March | Civic Center
>> Want to see our Top Picks for this week instead?
Civic Center (SF) | Fulton St and Larkin St, San Francisco, CA
Submitted by the Event Organizer
Bay Area WRAP members and Homeless Bill of Rights supporters will be gathering at the SF Library and Civic Center to demand an end to the continued criminalization of homelessness in San Francisco from noon to 4 pm on Friday, January 17, 2014.
Join WRAP member organizations from noon to 3 pm at SF Public Library, Latino-Hispanic Room for anti-criminalization homeless services, resources and action. Then, gather at the corner of Larkin and Grove at 3 pm for a march and rally with Brass Liberation Orchestra around the Civic Center to “Demand An End To The Criminalization Of Poverty.”
Anti-Criminalization Homeless Services, Resources, and Action at the SF Library:
- Hospitality House: Emergency service info, counseling, support, & organizing
- St. James Infirmary: HIV/STI testing, info for sex workers, health & safety, needle exchange, & harm reduction supplies
- Mission Neighborhood Resource Center (MNRC): Housing info, counseling, & support
- Shelter Monitoring Committee: Info on SF shelter system & emergency housing, shelter advocacy & support
- Transgender Gender-variant Intersex (TGI) Justice Project: Incarceration & re-entry support for transgender & gender non-conforming folks
- General Assistance Advocacy Project (GAAP): Legal advocacy for public benefits
- El/La Para TransLatinas: Support, resources, & counseling for transgender latin@ folks
- Swords to Plowshare: Emergency service info, resources, & support for veterans
- Community United Against Violence (CUAV): Info on self-determination & safety for LBGTQ folks incl. responding/healing from violence
- Dolores Street Services: Housing info, immigration legal info & resources
- Coalition On Homelessness: Citation defense & Know Your Rights info
- GLIDE: Food and snacks
- San Francisco Jail Fight: Stop a new jail from being built in downtown SF
- Fair Chance Campaign: Ban the box on employment & housing applications, more housing & economic opportunities for all
- Senior and Disability Action Network: Organizing seniors and folks with disabilities to fight for the individual and collective rights
- St. Anthony’s: Use your voice to advocate for your human rights, including housing, food, and basic needs
- Stop The Ban Coalition, Palo Alto: Campaign to stop criminalization of vehicle dwellers in city of Palo Alto
Cities throughout the West Coast will also be gathering during the MLK weekend to continue to demand a Homeless Bill of Rights. During his organizing with the Poor People’s Campaign, Dr. King campaigned for an end to poverty and secure guaranteed employment and guaranteed living income for those unable to find a job. Like Dr. King’s Poor People’s Campaign, our campaign for a Homeless Bill of Rights demands real solutions and condemns the failed solutions that are now generations-old and have only created a greater crisis and problem.
Disclaimer: Please double check event information with the event organizer as events can be canceled, details can change after they are added to our calendar, and errors do occur.
Categories: *Top Pick*, Fairs & Festivals, Lectures & Workshops, Live Music, San Francisco