Free Muni & Caltrain Rides All Night | New Year’s Eve
>> Want to see our Top Picks for this week instead?
San Francisco Bay Area |
If you choose to get hammered on New Year’s Eve, rest assured you can get home safely for free via bus, train or light rail if you live anywhere other than the East Bay and North Bay. Within San Francisco, get free rides on Muni all night starting at 8 pm on December 31, 2014.
All details have been confirmed with the transit agencies for December 31, 2014.
SF Muni: Free rides on all Muni lines and routes from 8 pm NYE until 5 am on New Year’s Day. Muni Metro service between West Portal and Embarcadero stations extended to 4 am and until 2:15 am to 4th and King street.
>>IMPORTANT: Please do not tag your Clipper card during the complimentary service.
Extra Owl Service - 1 pm to 5 am: 5 Fulton, 14 Mission, 22 Fillmore, 24 Divisadero, 38 Geary, 90 and 91 Owl and the L and N Owl bus routes.
SamTrans: Free rides on all routes from 8 pm to 5 am
SamTrans will operate on their Sunday schedule on New Year’s Day.
CalTrain: Free rides after 8 pm and there is extended service after midnight. Four extra trains depart San Francisco southbound – 12:45 am, 1:15 am, 1:45 am, and 2:15 am to accommodate celebrants heading back down the Peninsula and to the South Bay. Caltrain operates on the Sunday schedule on New Year’s Day.
VTA: Between 8 pm on New Year’s Eve and 5 am on New Year’s Day, all VTA service will be free. Both light rail and Express Bus 181 will also have more frequent service.
All customers are encouraged to check the VTA schedule for their return trips to ensure they do not miss their bus or train.
BART: No special fares for New Year’s Eve, but there will be extended service until 3 am. Trains will run every 20 minutes after midnight with extra trains standing by in downtown San Francisco after the fireworks show. The best tip we can give is to buy your round trip ticket in advance to avoid a line on the way home.
“Skip Stop” Schedule at Embarcadero, Montgomery and West Oakland
Beginning at 8 pm, BART will utilize a “skip-stop” train pattern into and out of San Francisco with one important change from past years:
Going into San Francisco:
- Trains from the Pittsburg/Bay Point and Richmond lines heading into San Francisco will not stop at Embarcadero Station. The San Francisco stop closest to the fireworks show for customers on the Pittsburg/Bay Point and Richmond lines will be Montgomery Street Station.
- Trains from the Dublin/Pleasanton and Fremont lines will not stop at Montgomery Street Station but will stop at Embarcadero Station.
- Trains from Millbrae and Daly City will make all stops in San Francisco.
After the fireworks end:
- Passengers bound for Pittsburg/Bay Point and Richmond must use Montgomery Street Station. Trains on these lines will not stop at Embarcadero Station on their way out of San Francisco.
- Passengers on the Dublin/ Pleasanton and Fremont lines must use Embarcadero Station, as trains heading to Dublin/Pleasanton and Fremont will not stop at Montgomery Street Station. Dublin/Pleasanton and Fremont trains will not stop at West Oakland and will make their first East Bay stop at Lake Merritt.
- Daly City and Millbrae passengers should use Montgomery Street Station, which will be less crowded.
Free Downtown Oakland B Shuttle: Downtown Oakland’s free Broadway shuttle will be running on New Year’s Eve every 10-15 minutes from 7 pm to 1 am
Hop on and hop off at any stop between Embarcadero West (Jack London Square) and 27th Street.
AC Transit offers no special fares for New Year’s Eve other than the Free B Shuttle. AC Transit All Nighter bus lines includes lines 800, 801, 802, 805, 822, 840, and 851 to destinations from Richmond south to Fremont, including downtown Berkeley.
Golden Gate Transit Bus offers no special fares for New Year’s Eve. No Wave Shuttles. The bus will run on a holiday schedule on New Year’s Day.
Golden Gate Ferry will operate on a holiday schedule on New Year’s Eve and will be closed on New Year’s Day.
All details have been confirmed with the transit agencies for December 31, 2014 and January 1, 2015.
Links: Event detailsCost: FREE
**Annual Event**, *Top Pick*, East Bay, KFOG, New Year's Day, New Year's Eve, Peninsula, San Francisco, South Bay