Home » **Annual Event**, *Top Pick*, Block Party, Fairs & Festivals, KFOG, North Bay
“American Graffiti” ’50s & ’60s Classic Car Cruise | Petaluma
An annual Salute to American Graffiti honors George Lucas’ timeless, coming-of-age film, American Graffiti, most of which was filmed in Petaluma in the early summer of 1972. Grab your favorite squeeze, jump into your hot rod, candy-colored screamin’ machine or the family car for that matter, and cruise on back to the “happy days” of the ‘50s and ‘60s.
10th Annual Salute to American Graffiti
May 15-16, 2015
Local downtown merchants as many have special events including art shows, demonstrations, special window displays, and of course, sales. Stroll on over to Mel’s Burger City and grab a burger or dog for you and your sweetie. Don’t forget to check out all the over 400 plus classic cars and trucks. Dance and sing to the live bands on the main stage.
Take a walk around the town and see if you can find all the spots that were featured in the movie, you may have to go outside the containment area to see them all. And don’t forget – the American Graffiti cruise starts at 4 pm on Saturday, May 16, 2015.
Friday, May 15, 2015
- 11–4:30 pm: 4th Annual Customer Appreciation Day – with giveaways, free hot dogs and sodas
Larson Racing Products 345 Lakeview St Petaluma
- 4 – 8 pm: Cruise-in Social with music from XERB Radio Broadcasting on FM 88.1. There will be reserved parking for 1975 and older American vehicles. American Graffiti collectibles will be available
- 4 – 8 pm: Come meet the folks from the American Graffiti Tribute Team as they bring back the memories of the movie
- 4 – 7 pm: Come visit with the movie stars. This year, Candy Clark, Bo Hopkins, and Lynne Stewart will be joining us.
- 6:30 pm: Presentation of the Henry Travers & Rich Poremba Scholarships to local students
Saturday, May 16, 2015
- 8:30 am: XERB – Tune your radio to XERB – 88.1FM – DiscJockey and Petaluma Mayor, David Glass, will be hitting the microphone with some great old tunes.
- 8:30 am – 8 pm: Cruiser Retail opens – Get all your American Graffiti merchandise
- 10 am to 1 pm: Cub Scouts Pinewood Derby, Theater Square, C & 2nd Sts
New in 2015, The Cub Scouts have opened their track pinewood derby car and race it against other cars for trophies.
- 10 am to 7 pm: Visit with the movie stars from American Graffiti. Candy Clark, Bo Hopkins, and Lynne Stewart will be glad to see you and sign some pictures for you
- 10 am to 4 pm: Stop by the American Graffiti Display on the corner of Western Ave and Kentucky St. There you will see and meet cars. You will also see a few of the cars and their owners that were featured in the movie.
- 2 – 5 pm: Opening day for the Petaluma’s Farmers Market, Walnut Park, 4th & D St. Enjoy farm fresh produce from some of Petaluma’s local farms
- 2:30 – 4:30 pm: Meet the famous local Clo the Cow and have your pictures taken with her, she’s simply MOOvelous.
- 4-8 pm: Cruise Starts – They’re bringing back the good times you remember from your high school days when the roar of 400 plus classic cars start their engines and take to the streets to do what they were made to do, Cruise the Boulevard.
Where to Watch the Cruise: Perhaps the best place to watch the cruise will be along Petaluma Blvd, south of B Street all the way down to the turn-around circle right before the river bridge. Grab you chair, a picnic basket, something to drink, your portable radio (tuned to 88.1fm) and if necessary, jackets and a blanket. Find a spot to watch the action. Be sure to wave and give the thumbs up to all the cruisers.
Petaluma Filming Location Map
Most of the memorable scenes from the movie were filmed in Petaluma in August 1972.
Categories: **Annual Event**
, *Top Pick*
, Block Party
, Fairs & Festivals
, North Bay
Address: 210 Lakeville Street, Petaluma, CA
Submitted by Rena