2015 Chinatown Music Festival: Jazz, Rock & Mongolian Dance | SF
>> Want to see our Top Picks for this week instead?
Portsmouth Square | 733 Kearny Street, San Francisco, CA
2015 Chinatown Music Festival
Saturday, August 15, 2015 | 11 am to 5 pm
Portsmouth Square, Kearny & Clay St, SF
The festival is free to the public and will feature fun, diverse musical performances including swing, jazz, soul, rock, and guzheng. The event will also feature line, swing, and Mongolian dance. The variety of performances and artistic styles reflects the 2015 theme of “Keep Exploring”.
2015 Lineup & Schedule
- 11 am: San Francisco Guzheng Music Society was founded in 1982 to promote and share the rich Chinese heritage through traditional, classical, folk, and contemporary music.
- 12 noon: Yea-Ming and the Rumours is a rising bay area pop group rose from the ashes of a previous rock-pop group called Dreamdate, and Yea-Ming Chen has expanded on the pop confection pioneered in Dreamdate, now with emphasis on her interesting voice and melodies.
- 1 pm: The Klipptones perform multiple soundscapes ranging from instrumental jazz to rocking the dance floor.
- 2 pm: The Jon Jang Warriors under the direction of internationally celebrated pianist/composer Jon Jang, performs original works that give voice to the untold stories of the Chinese American experience, and how this experience intersects with the historic disenfranchisement of communities of color, expressed in a compelling mixture of cultural influences and sounds.
- 3 pm: Jest Jammin’ has been entertaining the public for over 40 years and are the last of the “local Chinatown bands” from the 60s and 70s. Don’t miss this amazing performance full of “home grown” talent and music from both the soulful 60’s – 70’s and the recent decades.
Links: Event detailsCost: FREE
**Annual Event**, *Top Pick*, Fairs & Festivals, Fun & Games, Kids & Families, Lectures & Workshops, Live Music, San Francisco, Theater & Performance