2016 Christmas at Sea: Sea Chanteys & Nautical Santa | SF
>> Want to see our Top Picks for this week instead?
Hyde Street Pier | Hyde Street Pier, San Francisco, CA
Bring the whole family to San Francisco Maritime National Historical Park for a festive event celebrating the winter holidays. “Celebrations at Sea” will take place on the pier and aboard the 1886 historic sailing ship Balclutha.
The event will feature live music, refreshments, ornament making, costumed living history players, a free puppet show, storybook reading, a ranger talk on historic seagoing holiday traditions, and a visit from a nautical Santa Claus.
2016 Christmas At Sea on Hyde Street Pier
Saturday, December 10, 2016 | 1-4:45 pm
Hyde Street Pier, San Francisco
Admission: $10; under 16 are free
Costumed living history players will be strolling around Hyde Street Pier starting at noon and later in the day in the Balclutha’s focs’le and captain’s cabin to talk about holiday traditions at sea in the year 1901.
Schedule of Activities: (some activities may require admission)
- 1 and 2 pm: Free puppet show in Ark houseboat (near Hyde Street Pier entrance)
- 1:30 pm: Free storybook reading in the Ark Houseboat
- 2:30 pm: Ranger led talk about historic holiday traditions aboard sailing ships (Balclutha Shelter Deck – admission fees apply)
- 3-4 pm: Dogwatch Nautical Band plays traditional sea chanteys with a holiday twist (Balclutha Shelter Deck – admission fees apply)
- 3-4 pm: Family crafts and ornament making (Balclutha Shelter Deck – admission fees apply)
- 4 pm: Reading of Twas the Night Before Christmas (Balclutha Shelter Deck – admission fees apply)
- 4:20 pm: Santa’s Arrival: Nautical Santa will arrive by sea and will listen to children’s wishes until the event ends at 4:45 pm (Balclutha Shelter Deck – admission fees apply)
San Francisco Maritime National Historical Park is located at the west end of Fisherman’s Wharf in San Francisco. The park includes a magnificent fleet of historic ships, visitor center, Aquatic Park Historic District, and library.