MAPP: Art & Performance Crawl | Mission Dist.
>> Want to see our Top Picks for this week instead?
The Mission District | Mission St. and 18th St., San Francisco, CA
Saturday, June 1, 2013
June 2013 | MAPP: Art & Performance Crawl | Mission Dist.
The theme of this month’s MAPP is “Gentrification & Displacement”. In general they will be focusing on the idea that diversity feeds creativity and is necessary for a healthy urban ecosystem/ a creative society cannot flourish in a monoculture, and people on all sides of the issue must work together to preserve San Francisco and the Mission’s creative soul and diversity of population before it is entirely lost
MAPP will be happening all over the Mission District, so come wander around the neighborhood and see what art surprises you can find. Watch this space for more details about various happenings closer to June 1, 2013.
Red Poppy Art House Schedule (more venues coming soon – stay tuned)
- 1-4 pm: Family Art
- 5-5:45 pm: Irma Gogiashvili, will be talking about her trip, sharing her photography, and also spreading the word about the film, currently in production “Creative Despite War,” a documentary that aims to show that Afghanistan is far more than a place of war and conflict.
- 6-9 pm: Ximena Soza, Street installation
“Underneath the Soils” interactive installation on 23th Street, between Folsom and Treat. Please stop by to leave your stories of displacement and old shoes to add them to the piece.
- 7-7:15 pm: “A Family’s Sanctuary” by Miguel Astudillo, this film is a nuanced portrait of Mayra Nogueira, an undocumented Mexican mother who came to San Francisco in search of better opportunities for her three children. With love, commitment and faith, she brings hope to keep her family together while her 18-year-old son faces deportation.
- 7:30-7:55 pm: Street intervention, 23rd @ Shotwell st.
Bailout or “Can you picture this prophecy? The temperatures are too hot for me.” Utch Singer, accompanying herself on the accordion.
- 9-9:45 pm: Ensemble Mik Nawooj, performs the innovative music of composer/pianist JooWan Kim, who injects Western European Classical compositional techniques into such genres as hip-hop, rock and pop.
Links: Event detailsCost: FREE
*Top Pick*, Art & Museums, Recurring - Monthly, San Francisco, Walks & Tours