420 in the Park: Gigantic Gathering at Hippie Hill | Golden Gate Park
>> Want to see our Top Picks for this week instead?
Hippie Hill | Hippie Hill, San Francisco, CA 94117
Submitted by the Event Organizer
420 at Hippie Hill is a well known San Francisco tradition, bringing tens of thousands of people from all over to Sharon Meadow to celebrate the right to use cannabis.
In previous years, this “festival” has been un-permitted and unofficial. It was awesome, but growing larger every year, with increased violence and the amount of trash left behind was unbelievable. Seriously… it was 11 tons in 2016.
Want to volunteer to help out at Hippie Hill on 420? Learn More.
To avoid a shutdown and make sure to make the event safe for everyone, the city actually permitted the event, bringing in sponsorships to help pay for fencing all around the perimeter of Sharon Meadows, increased security, port-o-potties (so necessary), food vendors/trucks, plus a sound system and DJs for entertainment.
Two Entrances to 420 Hippie Hill Festival
- Kezar Dr/John F Kennedy Dr
- Alvord Tunnel entrance, right off Haight/Stanyan
Will you get arrested for 420?
If you’re just enjoying yourself, not being a d*ck and not breaking any of the rules, then you’re probably fine. But note, smoking marijuana is still sadly against Federal law (the state and the city tend to look the other way), so there’s still always a slight chance of a crack down, but we highly doubt it.
The “Duh” Rules of 420
- Don’t leave trash behind (leave-no-trace; bring a garbage bag, fill it up and take it home)
- Don’t bring coolers, tents, glass, generators etc. into the park
- Don’t destroy anything, hop the fence, push over porta-poties…. i.e. don’t be an ass.
- Don’t sell anything without a permit. To inquire or apply for permit, please email: email@example.com. Selling cannabis is not permitted by anyone.
- Don’t trash the local neighbhorhood; if you’re a jerk and peeing in someone’s front garden in the Upper Haight, do you think the neighbors will want this to happen again next year?
- The event will remain free and open to the community
- Increased food options for patrons
- Permitted food and retail vendors only
- Unified sound system for background music
- Increased amount of port-a-potties in & around the park & neighborhood
- Added security in and outside the park
- A fence to enclose the entire venue, so attendees can be monitored to ensure compliance
- Medical Emergency services: EMT & Ambulances on-site
- Dedicated clean up crew for the Upper Haight and surrounding neighborhoods
- Monitored entrances to the event area
- No minors under 18 allowed in the event area
Items that will not be allowed inside event area this year:
- Unpermitted Vending – permits must be obtained through event organizers. General street vendor permits are not accepted.
- Tents, Canopies, Tables, or other structures
- Coolers larger than 9”x12″
- Barbecues or cooking equipment
- Amplified Sound Equipment
- Wagons or Carts
- Drones / aircrafts
- Weapons of any kind
Categories: **Annual Event**, *Top Pick*, 420, Fairs & Festivals, San Francisco, Top Annual Events