420 in the Park: Gigantic Gathering at Hippie Hill | Golden Gate Park
>> Want to see our Top Picks for this week instead?
Hippie Hill | Hippie Hill, San Francisco, CA 94117
Submitted by the Event Organizer
420 at Hippie Hill is a well known San Francisco tradition, bringing tens of thousands of people from all over to Sharon Meadow to celebrate the right to use cannabis.
In previous years, this “festival” has been un-permitted and unofficial. It was awesome, but growing larger every year, with increased violence and the amount of trash left behind was unbelievable. Seriously… it was 11 tons in 2016.
Want to volunteer to help out at Hippie Hill on 420? Learn More.
To avoid a shutdown and make sure to make the event safe for everyone, the city actually permitted the event, bringing in sponsorships to help pay for fencing all around the perimeter of Sharon Meadows, increased security, port-o-potties (so necessary), food vendors/trucks, plus a sound system and DJs for entertainment.
420 in the Park
April 20, 2019 | 9 am-ish to dusk; peak is 4:20 pm
Hippie Hill, Golden Gate Park, San Francisco
Will you get arrested for 420?
If you’re just enjoying yourself, not being a d*ck and not breaking any of the rules, then you’re probably fine. But note, smoking marijuana is still sadly against federal law (the state and the city tend to look the other way), so there’s still always a slight chance of a crack down, but we highly doubt it.
The “Duh” Rules of 420
- Don’t leave trash behind (leave-no-trace; bring a garbage bag, fill it up and take it home)
- Don’t bring coolers, tents, glass, generators etc. into the park
- Don’t destroy anything, hop the fence, push over porta-potties…. i.e. don’t be a jerk.
- Don’t sell anything without a permit. To inquire or apply for permit, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Selling cannabis is not permitted by anyone.
- Don’t trash the local neighborhood; if you’re a jerk and peeing in someone’s front garden in the Upper Haight, do you think the neighbors will want this to happen again next year?
- The event will remain free and open to the community
- Dedicated food area
- Permitted food and retail vendors only
- Unified sound system for background music
- Port-a-potties in & around the park & neighborhood
- Security in and outside the park
- Medical Emergency Services: EMT & ambulances on-site
- Dedicated clean up crew for the park, Upper Haight and surrounding neighborhoods
- Security check at the front entrances to check ID and stop restricted items from entering
- No persons under 18 years of age allowed in the event area
Items that will not be allowed inside event area this year:
- No tents, canopies, tables or other structures
- No coolers large than 9 x 12
- No BBQs or cooking equipment
- No amplified sound equipment or generators
- No Glass
- No Alcohol
- No Wagons, Carts, Drones or Weapons
- No Pets
- No unpermitted vending or giveaways of food or goods – permits must be obtained through event organizers
Categories: **Annual Event**, *Top Pick*, 420, Fairs & Festivals, San Francisco, Top Annual Events