Alcatraz Resumes Outdoor Tours on August 17th
>> Want to see our Top Picks for this week instead?
Pier 33 | Pier 33, San Francisco, CA
Submitted by the Event Organizer
“The Rock” just turned 86 on August 11th, and just as birds reclaimed Alcatraz, humans are also welcome back starting Monday, August 17th.
To commemorate the 50th anniversary of the influential Occupation of Alcatraz by Indians of All Tribes and after being closed for five months, limited tours of the historic landmark resumes. Outdoor areas such as Eagle Plaza, Recreation Yard, and Rose Garden will be open for a number of visitors each day. However, due to the pandemic visitors will not be allowed inside the main cell block.
The private company Alcatraz Cruises that ferries visitors from Pier 33 in San Francisco to Alcatraz Island, will offer five trips a day. Departure Times are: 11:00 am, 12:00 pm, 1:00 pm, 2:00 pm, and 3:00 pm with the last boat returning at 4:40 p.m.
Buy Tickets:: $39.90 for adults, $24.40 for kids younger than 12, $37.65 for seniors 62 and older, and free for kids 4 and under.
The cost for the round-trip ride and park admission is the same as before.
This is a self-guided experience as staff-led tours are currently not offered, but visitors will be able to experience the windswept island and learn about its layered history though outdoor interpretive signs, free Discovery Guide, and digital Apps with historical information, stories, and more. Rangers will be stationed around the island to assist visitors and answer questions.
Revised Outdoor-Only Tour Includes:
- Round-trip ferry ride to Alcatraz Island
- Access to outdoor spaces such as historic Eagle Plaza, Recreation Yard, Sally Port, and Rose Garden along the East, West, and North Road.
- Scenic vistas and iconic close-up view of the exterior of Cell House, Building 64, Warden’s House, Water Tower, Officer’s Club, and Model Industries Building.
- Views of Occupation era political messaging left during 1969 by Indians of All Tribes
- Native American Occupation era political messaging on the exterior of many Island buildings
- NPS Golden Gate App with an interactive map, tours, historical information, stories, and pictures of Alcatraz, Muir Woods, Marin Headlands, and many other sites within the Golden Gate National Recreation Area. Please note: it is recommended that you download this app prior to visiting.
You can stay on Alcatraz Island as long as you like, but allow two (2) hours to cruise to Alcatraz, explore the Island and return via ferry to Pier 33 Alcatraz Landing. It is recommended that you arrive at least one-half hour prior to your departure time.
The safety of visitors and crew is Alcatraz Cruises’ top priority. All visitors and crew are now required to pass through a Safe Entry Station where security will conduct a screening, including temperature checks. Face coverings are also required throughout the experience.
Read their SafeCruise guidelines.