2020 World Championship Pumpkin Weigh-Off | Half Moon Bay
Long Branch Farms | 321 Verde Road, Half Moon Bay CA 94019
Yes, even in the COVID-19 era, the excitement is building in Pumpkintown as the World’s Greatest Gourd Growers and their astounding, mind-boggling, Volkswagen-sized orange orbs hope to squash the world record on Monday, October 12, 2020 at the 47th Safeway World Championship Pumpkin Weigh-Off — the “Super Bowl of Weigh-Offs” — in the World Pumpkin Capital of Half Moon Bay, California.
2020 Update – No in person spectators. The weigh-off will not be allowing spectators/the general public to attend the event. – Event is confirmed taking place as of 8/6/20 plus details may change. Please check the website for updates.
Weigh-off organizers and title sponsor Safeway are offering a world’s biggest top prize of $7 per pound. Also at stake are thousands of dollars in super hefty prize money doled out to the top 20 plus the big carrot: a $30,000 total mega-prize for a new world record pumpkin entered at Half Moon Bay — considered the “Super Bowl of Weigh-Offs”.
Two-time Half Moon Bay champion Leonardo Urena’s goliath 2,175-pound mega-gourd obliterated a formidable field of heavyweight contenders in winning the 2019 Safeway World Championship Pumpkin Weigh-Off and setting a new California record.
Beauty will share center stage with beefy brawn — a special $1,000 prize will be awarded to the “most beautiful pumpkin” as judged by our esteemed panel based on color, shape and size. Additional special prizes include: Biggest California Pumpkin — $1,000; Biggest Coastside Pumpkin — $1,000.
Using forklifts and special harnesses, the gargantuan gourds will be carefully placed on a 5-ton capacity, industrial-strength digital scale under the watchful eye of officials from the San Mateo County Agricultural Commissioner’s Office of Weights, Sealers, and Measures. Half Moon Bay’s Weigh-Off will serve as an officially sanctioned Great Pumpkin Commonwealth (GPC) site.
NEW WEIGH-OFF LOCATION:
Long Branch Farms is among the top venues for private events in the San Francisco Bay Area. The venue is popular for weddings, private parties, corporate offsites and company team building events. Two miles south of downtown Half Moon Bay off Highway 1, this unique old western town is nestled in the rolling countryside along the San Mateo coast. Long Branch Farms is located at 321 Verde Road, Half Moon Bay CA 94019.
COVID PANDEMIC RESTRICTIONS:
• Due to the COVID pandemic, the weigh-off will not be allowing spectators/the general public to attend the event. However, participating growers are allowed to have a limited number of family and assistants (max. 4 including grower). Event staff and members of the media will be the only other people allowed on-site.
• The health of our participants is our top priority. We are following all safety and sanitary precautions as recommended by the CDC and San Mateo County Health Department.
• Everyone will be required to wear a face covering during the weigh-off and adhere to proper physical distancing.
• This event is open to growers of giant competition-sized pumpkins only.
• Pumpkins must be grown, cared for, and entered by the weigh-off contestant.
• Each contestant is limited to one entry.
• Pumpkins that have won prizes in any other weigh-off competitions are not eligible.
• In the event of a tie, prize money will be distributed equally among the tied parties.
• Decisions of the judges are final in all cases.
• The weigh-off will be conducted in accordance with GPC rules.
Categories: *Top Pick*, Fairs & Festivals, In Person