Home » **Annual Event**, Fairs & Festivals, Kids & Families, Labor Day Weekend, Lectures & Workshops, Live Music
20th Annual Rail Fair: Unlimited Train Rides & Farmyard Activities | Aug. 31-Sept. 2
Submitted by the Event Organizer
Bring your family to Ardenwood Historic Farm on Labor Day weekend for the 20th Annual Rail Fair! Everyone will enjoy a day of fun at this celebration of trains. There will be unlimited train rides all three days pulled by “Katie” the diesel locomotive.
20th Annual Rail Fair | Labor Day Weekend
Aug. 31-Sept. 2, 2019 | 10 am to 4 pm
Ardenwood Historic Farm, 34600 Ardenwood Blvd., Fremont
Tickets: $12/adults and seniors (ages 18+); $9/children (ages 4-17); ages 3 and under are free.
Cash and credit cards are accepted. Parking is free. Toddler activities close at 3:30 pm.
• The passenger train will be pulled by “Katie,” a diesel locomotive built by Plymouth Locomotive Works. “Katie” is a favorite with the children (all days).
• The narrow gauge steam locomotive “Ann Marie” was built by H.K. Porter Company in 1890. She was originally built for Cortez Mines, Ltd. who operated a gold and silver mine in Central Nevada. The locomotive will be park near the public for great photo opportunities, and will be doing operating demonstrations (all days).
• The Bay Area Garden Railway Society (BAGRS) will bring a variety of scale steam locomotives to operate. These small but mighty engines work exactly like a full-size steam engine (Saturday and Sunday only).
• BAGRS is also bringing their beautiful “Roving Garden Railroad” with live plants and a real waterfall. The railroad is based on the children’s books “The Boxcar Children” (all days).
• Diablo Pacific Shortline’s large modular railroad has both freight and passenger trains operating, as well as a Thomas the Tank Engine train. This railroad is built low so the littlest railroad fans can follow the trains around this huge layout (all days).
• The California Central Coast On30 Railroad portrays central California during the early 1900s. Each module is designed by a different modeler and the details are fantastic (all days).
• The Paul Family Lego Railroad is built of Legos. This amazing Lego city has trains running through the scenes (all days).
A toddler area will have multiple wooden trains; a Train Book Library where you can read train books to your little ones; and learn fun facts and stories about the Gray Fox that lives near the railroad tracks (10 am-3:30 pm all 3 days). For older children there will be stilt walking & tabletop games (11 am – 12 pm and 1 pm – 2 pm all 3 days).
Welcoming back two music groups who have been performing at Rail Fair for over a decade. On Saturday and Monday (11:30-3:30) the California State Old-Time Fiddlers will play traditional American string band music, including many rare old fiddle tunes and lots of Appalachian-style music. On Sunday (11:30-3:30) the Apple Butter Brothers will play American folk music with an emphasis on “Train Songs.”
The beautiful Patterson House will be open for tours. Signup for house tours on the Patterson House porch (space limited). The Farmyard Café will be providing yummy food for sale as well as treats and cold drinks.
Don’t forget your hats and sunscreen because activities are spread out throughout the farm.
Disclaimer: Please double check event information with the event organizer as events can be canceled, details can change after they are added to our calendar, and errors do occur.
*$12/adults and seniors (ages 18+); $9/children (ages 4-17); ages 3 and under are free.
Categories: **Annual Event**
, Fairs & Festivals
, Kids & Families
, Labor Day Weekend
, Lectures & Workshops
, Live Music
Address: 34600 Ardenwood Blvd. Fremont, CA 94555