BART’s 50th Birthday Party and Family Fun Festival (Oakland)
>> Want to see our Top Picks for this week instead?
BART Lake Merritt Station & Plaza | 800 Oak St., Oakland, CA
Submitted by the Event Organizer
BART is turning 50… Let’s Celebrate!
Lake Merritt Station will become a veritable BART museum with areas usually reserved for advertising filled with archival photos, historic BART maps, and a timeline of BART milestones. Be sure to visit both the platform and concourse levels at Lake Merritt to take in displays of BART’s past, present and future. Displays will be posted September 1 through 30.
50th Birthday Party and Family Fun Festival
Saturday, September 10, 2022
Lake Merritt Station and Plaza, 11am–4pm
Main stage event begins at noon and will be live streamed on BART’s social media accounts.
Join us for a free public celebration. The event will include:
- Food trucks (Kabob Trolley, Coolinaria, Javi’s Cooking, Las Marianas, Golden Gate Gyro)
- Music, including Taiko drummers
- A kid’s zone with games
- The opening of a time capsule and then putting a new time capsule together (part of main stage event at noon)
- The BARTmobile
- BART-Man, your friendly, neighborhood luchador
- The front of a train cab serving as a photo booth
- 10 feet of train tracks to show people the components and how they work
- Film archive booth where you can watch historical BART films
- Transit themed booths and partners — learn more about BART projects, upcoming HO scale model trains, the Western Railroad Museum and more!
Main Stage Program
Co-hosts: Anna Duckworth, BART Communications and Mike Healy, BART Spokesperson and Manager of Media & Public Affairs (Retired)
Speakers & Congratulatory Videos
Rebecca Saltzman, BART Board President
Jesse Hunt, President, Amalgamated Transit Union, Local 1555
Congratulatory video from Speaker Nancy Pelosi, U.S. House of Representatives
Nikki Fortunato Bas, Oakland City Council President
Robert Raburn, BART Director
Congratulatory video from Representative Barbara Lee, U.S. House of Representatives
Ray Tellis, Region 9 Administrator, Federal Transit Administration
Congratulatory video from U.S. Secretary of Transportation, Pete Buttigieg
Presentation of State Resolutions by Bay Area Legislative Caucus Members and Board of Equalization Member Malia Cohen
Willie Brown, Speaker Emeritus of the California State Assembly and former San Francisco Mayor
Sam Liccardo, Mayor of San Jose
Rafael Mandelman, San Francisco Board of Supervisors, District 8
Amy Worth, Orinda City Council Member
Jim Wunderman, President & CEO, Bay Area Council
Robert Powers, BART General Manager
Categories: *Top Pick*, Fairs & Festivals, In Person, Outdoors