What’s Closed in SF Due to Government Shutdown
If you wanted to visit Muir Woods, Stinson Beach, China Beach, Aquatic Park Pier, or even any bathrooms in Fort Mason you better beware.
During a Federal government shutdown, some Golden Gate National Recreation Area sites are accessible, however access may change without notice, and there are no National Park Service-provided visitor services, including restrooms, trash collection, facilities, or road maintenance.
The basics is that Muir Woods, Stinson Beach, Fort Point, China Beach are all closed along with Hyde Street Pier and Aquatic Park Pier. Alcatraz is open but only for day tours.
Park Site Closure Status During Federal Shutdown
The table below lists the status of park sites and facilities in Golden Gate National Recreation Area, including Muir Woods and Alcatraz, during the Federal Government shutdown.
This list is accurate as of January 21, 2018 – but because of the shutdown nps.gov may not be updated to reflect current conditions.
- Muir Woods National Monument
- Marin Headlands Visitor Center and Restrooms
- Muir Beach Parking Lot and Restrooms
- Rodeo Beach Restrooms
- Point Bonita Lighthouse
- Nike Missile Site
- Battery Townsley
- Upper Conzelman Road
- Kirby Cove, Haypress, Hawk Campgrounds
- Bicenntenial Campground
- Stinson Beach
San Francisco County
- San Francisco Maritime – The Aquatic Park lawns, bleachers, promenade, beach, and cove are open, however, there are no NPS-provided services. Hyde Street Pier, the visitor center, the maritime museum, Aquatic Park (Muni) Pier, and the Maritime Research Center are closed.
- Battery Chamberlin
- Fort Point National Historic Site
- Battery East Parking Lot
- Navy Memorial Parking Lot (Lands End)
- Merrie Way Parkling Lot (Lands End)
- China Beach
- Fort Mason Headquarters Information Center
- Fort Mason Great Meadow Restrooms
- Ocean Beach Sloat Blvd Parking Lot and Restrooms
- The Presidio (Mostly Open)- Much of the Presidio is unaffected. The Presidio Visitor Center and the shuttle will continue to operate; however, there may be some impact to the coastal areas managed by the National Parks Service. Visit Facebook for updates.
- Rob Hill Campground
- Fort Funston Parking Lot
- Alcatraz – Alcatraz Island tours will be open during the government shutdown for Day Tours only. There are no ranger-led tours and they will not be operating our Behind the Scenes or Evening Tours.
San Mateo County
- Mori Point Restrooms