Hwy 50 Closed, Much of Tahoe Ordered Evacuated
UPDATE: As of 11:40am on August 30 a mandatory evacuation order has been issued by CalFire for the entire city of South Lake Tahoe all the way to Nevada Stateline.
• Evacuate Eastbound on Highway 50 towards Nevada.
• Truckee Veterans Hall 10214 High Street, Truckee, CA 96161
• Douglas County Community Center, 1329 Waterloo Lane, Gardnerville, NV
Mandatory evacuations in @cityofslt due to the #CaldorFire, Evacuation route is EB 50 into @nevadadot. Closures also in place on Highway 89. Check @CountyElDorado for updates on the evacuations. pic.twitter.com/4RZUvoPtwr
— Caltrans District 3 (@CaltransDist3) August 30, 2021
Mountain folk are damn tough. Despite horrible gridlock in South Tahoe as people evacuate #CaldorFire, everybody keeping their cool. Have heard no honking or cursing. One driver really embraced it all blasting Johnny Cash’s “Ring of Fire.” pic.twitter.com/M8KIB0A9qi
— Karl Mondon (@karlmondon) August 30, 2021
"There's fire in the (Tahoe) basin," @CAL_FIRE Chief Thom Porter says in the live @Cal_OES briefing that we're carrying live right now on @CapRadioNews. Listen live: https://t.co/nWn6QxczjE
— Ben Adler (@adlerben) August 30, 2021
Useful links for the #CaldorFire
Satellite fire mapping, via @CalTopoMaps: https://t.co/KmWflKe3Nr (Data several hours old, false positives exist)
Live webcams, via @AlertWildfire: https://t.co/HOxbiBtW3S
Official overview, via @CAL_FIRE: https://t.co/75r0TYHwfj
— Rob Price (@robaeprice) August 30, 2021
Due to the rapidly advancing fire which has now entered the Tahoe Basin, Cal Fire issued mandatory evacuation orders Monday for everyone in South Lake Tahoe in addition to many evacuation orders that were issued on Sunday night.
See the latest updates
Please note this is an evolving news story and details may change rapidly.
- See the latest evacuation map
- See the latest Caldor Fire Updates from Cal Fire.
Highway 50 is closed in both directions from east of Placerville (the Sly Park Road exit) to Meyers (Highway 50 and Highway 89 junction).
Third round of #CaldorFire evacuation orders for South Lake Tahoe basin. Please read, heed and share. #StayInformedStaySafe pic.twitter.com/y53my4VBq2
— County of El Dorado (@CountyElDorado) August 30, 2021
The orders to evacuate are for residents the following areas:
- El Dorado County: in the Desolation Wilderness from the watershed ridge to the wilderness boundary, and from the El Dorado/Placer county line to Echo Lakes.
- Alpine County: State Route 89 south, from Luther Pass Road to Picketts Junction (State Route 88), and west on State Route 88 to Kirkwood, and south including Kirkwood ski resort and Caples Lake.
- UPDATE – Now includes South Lake TahoeHeavenly
• East of Pioneer Trail between Larch and Al Tahoe, to include the area of Heavenly Ski Resort out
to the Alpine County Line and the Nevada State line on the East.
• East of Ski run on the lake side of Pioneer Trail and also both sides of Pioneer Trail between Larch
and the Nevada State line.
Cal Fire has provided an interactive evacuation map
Tragic losses between at least Camp Sacramento and the Sierra Tahoe turn off. Unknown E of there. #CaldorFire Hwy 50 viewing north driving East pic.twitter.com/8amM7NZ7cW
— craig philpott (@CphilpottCraig) August 30, 2021
The warning is in effect in Alpine County from State Route 88 at Forestdale Road west and south to the Pacific Crest Trail crossing, west to the Summit City Canyon Trail, west from there to the El Dorado/Stanislaus National Forest line and west from there to the Alpine/Amador county line. In addition, the warning includes the area south of the Armstrong Summit to Woodfords to Forestdale Road and north of State Route 88 and State Route 89 to the Armstrong Summit.
A Red Cross evacuation shelter is open in Nevada at the Douglas County Community Center, 1329 Waterloo Lane in Gardnerville.
In Lassen County, the warning is in effect from the Bogard area north of State Route 44 from Pittville Road east to County Road A21 and north to Blacks Mountain, and Harvey Mountain and south of Ashurst Lake, as well as west of County Road A1 from the intersection of County Road A21 north to Forest Services Route 32NO2.
Copyright © 2021 Bay City News, Inc. All rights reserved. Republication, rebroadcast or redistribution without the express written consent of Bay City News, Inc. is prohibited. Bay City News is a 24/7 news service covering the greater Bay Area.
As of 11:40am, August 30, 2021 – see the latest updates
EL DORADO COUNTY SHELTERS
Green Valley Community Church
3500 Missouri Flat Road
Cameron Park CSD
2502 Country Club Drive
Cameron Park, CA
Rolling Hills Church
800 White Rock Road
El Dorado Hills, CA
- Temporary Evacuation Point
Italian Picnic Grounds in Sutter Creek
581 Hwy 49
Sutter Creek, CA 95685
Douglas County Community Center
1329 Waterloo Lane
ANIMAL EVACUATION CENTERS:
EL DORADO COUNTY
- El Dorado County Animal Services (small animals)
6435 Capitol Ave.
Diamond Springs, CA
For animal evacuation questions or assistance call (530) 621-5795
- Saureel Vineyards (large animals) FULL
1140 Cold Springs Road
- South County Large Animal Rescue (SCLAR)
Amador County Fairgrounds (large and farm animals)
El Dorado County residents only
18621 Sherwood Street
- Amador County Animal Response Team- ACART
Amador County Fairgrounds (large and small animals)
18621 Sherwood Street
For Amador County residents only
- Italian Picnic Grounds in Sutter Creek – Temporary Evacuation Point
581 Hwy 49
Sutter Creek, CA 95685
- Douglas County Animal Services (small animal)
921 Dump Road
- East to West Coast Grooming
1368 Hwy 395, Unit B1
- Douglas County Animal Services (livestock)
Douglas County Fairgrounds
920 Dump Road