SF’s North Beach Now Offers Free Restaurant Delivery
The restaurant industry has obviously been hit hard during the pandemic, but some community-minded neighbors in North Beach are trying to come to the rescue.
A group of volunteers within the North Beach Neighbors association has started “North Beach Delivers” – a free restaurant delivery program focusing on a different restaurant each week – to support restaurants with free teams of volunteer delivery couriers.
“North Beach Delivers” How it Works
- Every Tuesday at 9:41am a new restaurant and menu is featured
- Place your orders by 9:41pm on Wednesday
- Pick your 30-minute delivery window for Thursday evening between 5-8pm
- Delivery map – Delivery typically available within North Beach, Jackson Square, Embarcadero and parts of Nob Hill, Russian Hill and Chinatown. Please note the map may change slightly each week depending on where the restaurant is located.
- Every week is a different restaurant. Previous restaurants featured include Piazza Pellegrini, Noren Izakaya, Family Cafe and Bask Restaurant. This week (May 28th) will be Yarsa Nepalese Cuisine – a link to the menu will be posted on May 26th at 9:41am
View this post on Instagram
That means that unlike working with tech-oriented delivery services like GrubHub, UberEats or DoorDash, the restaurants keep 100% of all sales and the 8-10 volunteer delivery crew donates 100% of the tips back to the restaurant. This lets the restaurants save on margins from delivery companies.
Since launching North Beach Delivers has reached $10,000 in revenue for their partner restaurants. And that’s in addition to the money saved on commission fees that would normally be paid to delivery companies
Week Six Milestones
- $10,000 Revenue Milestone – After 5 weeks, the program has now generated an incremental $10,000 in revenue for restaurants. This is on top of the margins saved without delivery commissions. Each week, the fractured restaurants have had their single best day of sales since the pandemic began when they are featured in the NBD program.
- Delivery Zone Expanded – Thanks to the generous support of Bolt Bikes, our volunteers have a fleet of e-bikes that make traversing hills much faster (and easier!). This has let North Beach Delivers expand its delivery zone to cover most of North Beach, Nob Hill, Chinatown, Jackson Square, and the Embarcadero.
- New Neighborhood Launched – North Beach Delivers has been training volunteers from a nearby neighborhood association, Russian Hill Neighbors, to launch their own effort. Last week, they introduced “Dining on the Hill” and their first featured restaurant, Sumac, received 40 orders from the program. The Russian Hill program features delivery on Wednesday nights. This weeks’ restaurant is Frascati with delivery on May 27th. Order Deadline 10PM, Tuesday, May 26th