SF’s Low-Cost Shuttle Helps Seniors & Disabled Get to Grocery Stores
Shop-a-Round is a convenient, low-cost shuttle or subsidized Taxi ride that makes it easier to go grocery shopping.
How to apply for Shop-a-Round
This SFMTA service offers registered seniors and people with disabilities personalized assistance and a ride to/from the grocery store.
This service appears to still be active during COVID-19 but please be aware that there may be some changes to service due to safety concerns.
- A customer does not have to be ADA-paratransit eligible to use the service.
- The service takes customers to select supermarkets in San Francisco to shop.
- The driver will help carry groceries on and off the shuttle/Taxi.
- They are currently evaluating how to expand this program to include more people and other types of essential trips.
- Shop-a-Round trips costs $2.50 per one-way trip. (subject to change)
- Trips include Costco, Foods Co., Safeway, Trader Joe’s, Rainbow Grocery, Dollar Tree, Whole Foods and more. See the schedule (subject to change)
When you ride the Shop-a-Round Shuttle, you’ll be on a van with other riders going to the same grocery store. You may travel with one companion if there is space on the vehicle.
On the way to the grocery store, the van will stop to pick up other riders at their homes.
Although Shop-a-Round drivers may not enter your home, upon request they will offer assistance onto the vehicle from the entrance of your home or building where you live.
Some applicants may be eligible for Shop-a-Round Taxi service, due to limited availability of shuttle service in their area. With Shop-a-Round Taxi, you will be issued an ID card. On a monthly basis, you may pre-load the card with funds. For every $6 of funds you load, you will receive $30 in card value (up to a maximum allotment) which can then be used to pay the cost of taxi trips to and from select grocery shopping locations. You can ride at any time by hailing a taxi. Each one-way trip will cost the meter rate of a San Francisco taxicab.
Trips are provided by the taxi company of your choice.
Your companions or attendant may ride with you at no additional charge.
Taxi drivers may, but are not required to, assist you to/from the entrance of your home or building where you live upon request.