International “Beaver” Day + California Beaver Summit (April 7, 9)
Please join us on April 7 (International Beaver Day) and April 9 for the California Beaver Summit. During two online half-day sessions the summit will explore the many benefits that beavers offer to the ecosystems they occupy.
Climate change is making California hotter, drier, and harder for people and wildlife. Beavers can help. During two online half-day sessions, explore the many benefits that beavers offer to the ecosystems they occupy.
During two half-day sessions on two days in April, we explore the many benefits that beavers offer to our drying state.
April 7 – 1-5p
BEAVER ESSENTIALS: History and Management
Keynote Address: Beaver Habitat and Salmonids – Michael Pollock
The first session on April 7th will present an overview of beaver essentials. The discussion will clarify the history of beavers in the state, their ecological contribution as a keystone species, their function in aquatic restoration and conservation, and finally, how to successfully manage common conflicts beavers cause.
- Beaver Introduction
- California Beaver History
- Climate change and how beavers can help
- Tribal Restoration Partners
- Beavers, Amphibians and Birds
- CDFW Policy and habitat
- Common conflicts and how to manage
- Local examples of beaver management
BEAVER DYNAMICS: Ecosystems and Restoration
Keynote Address: Beavers & Fire Refugia –
- Human Dimensions of Beaver Restoration
- Beavers, BDAs & Coho Salmon Recovery
- Low-Tech Process-Based Restoration of Riverscapes
- Beavers for Restoration & Conservation
- Barriers to beaver Restoration
- Bring Back the Beaver Campaign Updates
- Community Involvement and SLO Beaver Brigade