SF’s “Museums for All” Summer of Free Museums | June 1 – Sep. 2
The city of San Francisco is starting a brand new program to provide free summer admission to 15+ local museums and cultural institutions for all San Francisco residents who receive public benefits. Thanks to the SF Chronicle for the tip-off.
Museums with free admission include the de Young, SFMOMA, Asian Art Museum, with the California Academy of Sciences offering $3 admission. See the full list of participating museums.
Please note that the Walt Disney Family Museum is no longer participating.
San Francisco Museums for All
June 1 – September 2, 2019
15+ museums and cultural institutions in SF
FREE general admission for those who receive public benefits
Learn More | What You Need to Bring | Museum List | FAQ
- Required: Bring a benefits card (either EBT or Medi-Cal ID) plus proof of San Francisco residency
- There is no limit to the number of locations or times you can visit
- Free admission up to four individuals
- Most museums offer free admission, others may offer heavily discounted admission
The San Francisco Museums for All program will provide free admission throughout the summer to residents who receive public benefits including Medi-Cal and CalFresh.
The program, which will run from June 1st through September 2nd, 2019, builds on Mayor Breed’s commitment to provide equitable access to the City’s resources and institutions. Nearly one in four San Franciscans receive these benefits and can visit museums free of charge through this program.
Who can access museums through San Francisco Museums for All?
Any San Francisco resident who is currently enrolled in CalFresh, Medi-Cal, or cash assistance benefits through the San Francisco Human Services Agency is eligible for the free admission program.
Accepted proof of residency:
- California Driver’s license or Real ID card
- San Francisco City ID card
- San Francisco student or college/university ID card
- San Francisco Public Library card
- Utility bill from a San Francisco address within the last 30 days
- Current rent receipt, lease agreement, or mortgage statement
What museums are participating?
Asian Art Museum – FREE
San Francisco Botanical Garden – FREE
California Academy of Sciences – $3*
Cartoon Museum – FREE
Conservatory of Flowers – FREE
Contemporary Jewish Museum – FREE
de Young Museum – FREE
Japanese Tea Garden – FREE
Legion of Honor – FREE
Museum of the African Diaspora – FREE
Museum of Craft and Design – FREE
San Francisco Museum of Modern Art (SF MoMA) – FREE
Walt Disney Family Museum– No longer participating
Yerba Buena Center for the Arts – FREE
* – California Academy of Sciences is offering discounted $3 general admission, not free admission.
What is included in admission through San Francisco Museums for All?
General admission access for up to four individuals is included. Special exhibits or additional programs that are not included in a museum’s general admission fees is not included.