2020 Berkeley Old-Time Music “Spring Situation” | Freight & Salvage
>> Want to see our Top Picks for this week instead?
Freight & Salvage | 2020 Addison St, Berkeley, CA
Free / Learn More
Submitted by the Event Organizer
Fiddles galore, Tex-Mex music, jug band jams, and even a make-your-own tin can banjo workshop for kids? The Berkeley Old Time Music “Spring Situation” is a full afternoon of concerts, workshops and jam sessions, with old-time music styles ranging from fiddle and banjo to Cajun.
2020 Freight & Salvage Open House
Sunday March 8, 2020 | Noon to 4 pm
Freight & Salvage, 2020 Addison Street, Berkeley
This mini-festival is an offshoot of the Berkeley Old Time Music Convention, a six-day event which takes place in September.
Concerts In The Showroom:
- 12:30 pm The Corn Likkers
- 1:00 pm Birches Bend
- 1:30 pm Jake Hoffman & Sam McDougle
- 2:00 pm The New Vintage Revelers
- 2:30 pm Old Soles
- 3:00 pm Hairy Garrison
- Noon Youth bluegrass jam – Birches Bend
- Noon Mexican fiddle music & songs – La Familia Peña-Govea (upstairs)
- 1pm Old Time – Geff & Masha Crawford (Old Soles)
- 2pm Old Time – JT Harechmak, Brandon Worden, & Kate Chaitin
- 3pm Cajun jam – Blair Kilpatrick & Steve Tabak (Sauce Piquante) (upstairs)
- 3pm Stringband blues & jugband music – Jailhouse String Band
- Mexican fiddle music – Learn to play and sing rancheras, polkas, valses, sones and more from the repertoire of La Familia Peña-Govea (Miguel Govea, Susan Peña, and Cecilia Peña-Govea). All instruments welcome!
- Shape Note Singing: – JT Harechmak: Join local Sacred Harp singers to try the tradition of shape note singing. Shape notes singing allow untrained singers to not just sight read a melody but to sing in multi-part harmony. Come learn the shapes — no singing experience necessary. https://bayareasacredharp.org/
- Contra/Square Dance Band – Erik Hoffman: We will cover repertoire, learn tunes, and discuss the connection to the dance, and how to mold our tune selection to the needs of the dance. All instruments welcome.
1 pm-2 pm
- Songs & ballads – Get Sad to Get Glad Part 2. Katelyn Kimmons (of Undone in Sorrow): We certainly enjoyed last year’s Old Time Cry Off, and since there are plenty more sad songs, we’re going to do it again! Share your saddest songs and ballads. – accompanied or a capella – your choice. Or just come and listen.
- Guitar – Katy Harris: Highlighting some guitar work by some of the early musicians who have inspired me. We’ll listen to and play along with some fiddle tunes that have an interesting and tasteful approach to old time backup guitar.
2 pm-3 pm
- Fiddle workshop – Lucia Purpura-Pontoniere
- Songs – Rachel Goodman: Songs from the southern Appalachian mountains and beyond, from Carter Family, Ola Belle Reed, Hazel Dickens and more, come sing unison and harmony with us.
3 pm-4 pm
- Square Dance Calling Workshop with Robin Fischer
Come learn to call – or get some calling practice time – at this hands-on workshop. We’ll talk about figures, crowd control, teaching dance moves, working with a band, and anything else you need to know to get calling.
If desired (and if time allows) we’ll get into private events vs community dances, gender neutral calling, family dances, and more. Bring your questions, and be ready to call.
Folks who just want to dance are also welcome! There will be lots of dancing.
Recording is allowed, and Robin’s square dance calling zine will be available for purchase.
- Cajun jam – Blair Kilpatrick & Steve Tabak (accordionist and fiddler with Sauce Piquante) lead you through a Cajun waltz, a two-step, and a bluesy shuffle. Blair plays a “D” accordion, so tunes will be in D and A.
- Banjo workshop – Jake Hoffman: Moving melodies & riffs up and down octaves. We’ll work on tunes in both open G and double D tunings. For intermediate players.
Disclaimer: Please double check event information with the event organizer as events can be canceled, details can change after they are added to our calendar, and errors do occur.
Categories: **Annual Event**, *Top Pick*, East Bay, Kids & Families, Lectures & Workshops, Live Music, Theater & Performance