Seaworthy NightLife | California Academy of Sciences
>> Want to see our Top Picks for this week instead?
California Academy of Sciences | 55 Music Concourse Drive, San Francisco, CA
Thursday, August 15, 2013
“NightLife” at California Academy of Sciences | Thursdays
Celebrate the ocean’s recreational riches, from sailing to surfing, with athletes and organizations who make it their business to enjoy and protect the salty body of water which covers 71% of our planet.
Schedule of Events on August 15, 2013:
Science Love Stories at the Project Lab, 6:00 – 9:00 pm
Chat up Academy ichthyologist (fish expert) Moises Bernal, and delve deeper into the Academy’s Built for Speed exhibit
DIY in the East Pavilion, 6:00 – 10:00 pm
Make a maritime craft with SCRAP
Ocean Experts in African Hall, 6:30 – 10:00 pm
- Meet big wave surfer and Mavericks fixture Grant Washburn
- See how Sustainable Surf is reducing the sport’s environmental impact
- Take part in a Surfing 101 workshop hosted by San Franpsycho and Surf for Life
- Chat with the folks from Mollusk Surf Shop
- Play an interactive game and learn how to test seafood safety with Safe Harbor
- Visit Thank You Ocean‘s photo booth
- Talk to ocean conservationists from SF American Cetacean Society and NOAA’s National Marine Sanctuariesand Marine Protected Areas programs
- Explore a gallery of images from California King Tides
Sailors by the Swamp, 7:00 – 7:30 pm
Rub shoulders with sailors from ORACLE TEAM USA, defending champions of the America’s Cup, on-hand to answer questions and sign autographs.
Special Talk in the Forum Theater, 8:00 pm
With big wave surfer Grant Washburn – hosted by Sustainable Surf