“Illuminate” NightLife Live | California Academy of Sciences
>> Want to see our Top Picks for this week instead?
California Academy of Sciences | 55 Music Concourse Drive, San Francisco, CA
Submitted by the Event Organizer
Thursday, August 7, 2014
“NightLife” at California Academy of Sciences | Thursdays
Live performance by Typhoon & Yesway presented by Outside Lands! Art exhibited by Ardent Heavy Industries. DJ set by Push the Feeling.
- 7:00-10:00 pm: Step outside of reality and into a Glow Cathedral, a dreamy, inflatable forest, by O Yeah Toys
Experience the Lightmobile, a Volkswagen beetle covered with 1659 lamps computerized into 20 different patterns.
Discover the Ardent Mobile Cloud Platform, presented by Ardent Heavy Industries and part of the CODAME Adopt an Artist program. This Kickstarter-funded, Burning Man-tested project brings the wonders of rain, music, shade, and wi-fi to the Academy. Experience this interactive art display that’s part mobile art car and part performance platform. Play conductor as you take control of the Cloud’s cutting-edge LED and sound effects, creating an orchestra of sunsets, lightning storms, and thunder with just the touch of a button.
- 7:45-8:30 pm: Live perforamnce by Yesway’s celestial duo Emily Ritz and Kacey Johansing
- 8:45-9:45 pm: Live performance from Portland-produced indie group Typhoon. Note: There is limited capacity in the garden. Please arrive early, limited admission will be available to visitors on a first-come, first-served basis.
Glow-in-the-dark Activities in African Hall (Level 1)
- 6:00-9:00 pm: Light up your night with neon face painting by Circus of Smiles
- 8:00-10:00 pm: Glow-in-the-dark juggling with Circus of Smiles and Watercolor Wall in the Children’s Gallery (Level 1)
- 7:00-10:00 pm: Turn the outline of your body into an expressive digital watercolor paintbrush with a “Watercolor Wall” from Anticlockwise, plus Sunflower Robots in the Piazza (Level 1)
- 6:00-10:00 pm: Wander through a field of sunflower robots by Stefano Corazza—yes, you read that correctly—an art exhibit fueled by daylight and powered by nightlife.
Flashlight Fish by the Project Lab (Level 1)
- 6:30-9:00 pm: Meet the Academy’s curator of fishes Dr. Luiz Rocha and learn about bioluminescence in the deep sea.
Skulls Exhibit in the Forum (Level 2)
- 6:00-9:30 pm: Walk along a wallscape of sea lion skulls, watch a live colony of dermestid beetles demonstrate their “bone cleaning” skills, and learn how scientists use the Academy’s vast collection of skulls to uncover clues about life on Earth.