SF’s 17th Annual Parol Lantern Festival & Parade | SoMa
>> Want to see our Top Picks for this week instead?
Jessie Square | 736 Mission St., San Francisco, CA 94199
Submitted by the Event Organizer
It’s the time of the year again, when the community starts making their parol lanterns and holiday decor to adorn their houses for the yuletide season. In San Francisco, on Saturday, December 14, 2019, the community will be holding the 17th Annual San Francisco Parol Lantern Festival.
The parol lantern is the quintessential Filipino holiday symbol of hope, blessings, luck, peace, and light. This year’s theme is “We Are The Light.“
Honor the various journeys in a shared space illuminated by parol lanterns and energized by performances, live music, and games.
17th Annual Parol Lantern Festival and Parade
Saturday, December 14, 2019 | 4 pm-8 pm
Jessie Square, Mission St. & Yerba Buena Ln., San Francisco
- The Taste of Filipino Christmas – Special Filipino sweets and delicacies from community cooks like SoMa Pilipinas’ very own Tess from JT Restaurant.
- Parol Stroll – Join the parade of lights starting at Jesse Square through Yerba Buena Gardens and then celebrate with everyone at St. Patrick’s Church.
- Sayaw sa Ilaw & Sagayan – A community-wide performance of “Sayaw sa Ilaw” choreographed by Master Choreographer Sydney Loyola and “Sagayan” by Jonathan Mercado.
- Tala Awards – The annual best parol contest. Enter the competition to win $500 for the best hand-made life-size parol lantern.
- San Fernando Parol Gallery – Come view a gallery display of parol lanterns imported from San Fernando, Pampanga.
- Live Music Performances – Enjoy live music with Bay Area Rondalla groups led by American Center for Philippine Arts Rondalla, jazz kulintang with The Autonomous Region, and more.
Parade contingents gather at Jessie Square and the procession begins at 6 pm. The parade loops back at Jessie Square at ~6:30 pm for the awards ceremony and live entertainment.
With this year’s theme, celebrate the resilience of the leaders, artists, youth and student groups, and the families who have been facing challenges for decades in San Francisco and the Bay Area.
The Parol Festival is not just a celebration, but also a reflection of history in the area which has long been a site of resistance against community displacement. It is a reminder of the community’s strength and the ways it has continued to rise up.
Categories: **Annual Event**, *Top Pick*, Fairs & Festivals, Kids & Families, Live Music, San Francisco, San FranFREEsco, Tree + Holiday Lightings