2014 Art School Festival: Giant Inflatable Heart, Free Ice Cream, Goats & $1 Art | SF
>> Want to see our Top Picks for this week instead?
San Francisco Art Institute (SFAI) | 800 Chestnut St, San Francisco, CA
Submitted by the Event Organizer
San Francisco Art Institute welcomes you to an annual family-friendly festival and art sale, SFAI Concentrate—a daylong adventure that celebrates artists, community, and the inimitable spirit of SFAI.
2014 San Francisco Art Institute “Concentrate” Festival
Sunday, November 16, 2014 | 1-6 pm
San Francisco Art Institute, 800 Chestnut St, San Francisco
FREE, but an RSVP is requested
Sunday’s daytime festivities are open to all, and feature work for sale by 100+ student-artists beginning at $1, family-friendly art making activities, a beer garden for adults, tactical ice cream for all, pizza, SFAI DJs, goats, and so much more. The student art sale offers work in a variety of media including painting, drawing, collage, photography, printmaking, editioned works, crafts, sculpture, mixed media, video, performance, fiber, adventurous gifts, and unexpected projects.
- Bouncing Heart All day | Francisco Street Parking Lot What is essential is invisible (2005), an inflatable sculpture of an anatomical human heart by the artist Felipe Dulzaides (MFA, 2001), returns to SFAI for one day only for you to climb through the aortas or watch the heart “beat” from the movements of people playing inside.
- Sounds DJ’d by Tower Radio All day With students from SFAI’s streaming freeform radio station: thetower.sfai.edu
- Beer Garden with Pizzahacker and Fort Point Beer Company All day | Zellerbach Quad | Available for purchase Renegade pop-up pizza kitchen PizzaHacker will be slinging gourmet pies from their home-built PizzaForge, with local favorite Fort Point Beer Company serving up craft beers
- Group 6.64 Lecture and Book Signing with Author Mary Street Alinder 4 pm | SFAI Lecture Hall Mary Street Alinder – leading expert on the photography of Ansel Adams and Adams’s former assistant – introduces her new book Group f.64: Edward Weston, Ansel Adams, Imogen Cunningham and the Community of Artists who Revolutionized American Photography
- Live Chess Games All day | Walter and McBean Galleries The Mechanics’ Institute Library and Chess Room will play on the gallery-sized chessboard from the current exhibition Javier Téllez: Games Are Forbidden in the Labyrinth (on view through December 13)
- Campus Tours with Timothy “Speed” Levitch 1:30-2:30 pm, 3:30-4:30 pm | Meet in the Courtyard The most famous tour guide in the United States, Timothy “Speed” Levitch is a writer and performer who has appeared in films (The Cruise, Waking Life, We Live In Public), TV shows (Up To Speed, Stroker & Hoop), and published two books (Speedology and The Pegleg)
- SFAI Family Friendly Picks Tactical Ice Cream Unit 1-5 pm | Francisco Street Parking Lot | FREE The Tactical Ice Cream Unit harbors a host of high-tech surveillance devices; a roof-top stage; activist supplies; a booming sound system; and of course, ice cream
- Melt & Reveal Collaborative Painting All day | Zellerbach Quad Use watercolor ice cubes as a painting medium, revealing a hidden picture through collaborative effort
- Jell-O Relief Printing All day | Courtyard Pull positive or negative prints from arrangements made of leaves, string, paper shapes, and other materials with an inked-gelatin base
- Panoramic Photo Puzzle All day | SFAI Cafe Help assemble a mural-sized panoramic photo of SFAI’s view of the Bay
- Visit with Goats in the SFAI Meadow All day Learn about the history of the SFAI Meadow and get to know our special visitors: goats from CIty Grazing who are helping keep the meadow tidy
- Ping-Pong Rallies Challenge friends, family, and strangers to a free-form tournament
Categories: **Annual Event**, *Top Pick*, Art & Museums, Fun & Games, Live Music, San Francisco, San FranFREEsco, Shopping & Fashion, Theater & Performance