Street Mural Dedication Ceremony & Live Music | Oakland
>> Want to see our Top Picks for this week instead?
PLACE for Sustainable Living | 1121 64th St, Oakland, CA
Submitted by the Event Organizer
Please join the intersection of 64th and Marshall Street where everyone will begin with a dedication ceremony led by a member of the Ohlone Nation – the first people of this land. Afterwards enjoy music, performances and story-telling inside.
This ceremony and celebration is brought to you by Economic Development Without Displacement Coalition’s (EDWDC) Art and Culture working group, PLACE, and North Oakland Restorative Justice Council.
A neighborhood based mural project: “Declaring Peace Through All Our Relations” was approved last May, 2015 by the city of Oakland, and was painted by community for community. They are excited to share this day with you to honor Art & Culture in the commons everyone shares.
Through the lens of the arts and deep culture, celebrate community at the mural site while delving thoughtfully into issues of Indigenous rights, Restorative Justice and Anti-Gentrification.
In the Intersection
- Noon-12:20 pm – Welcome & Introductions
- 12:20-12:50 pm – Ohlone led Dedication Ceremony
- 12:50-1:10 pm – Community Share – “Share your Piece on Peace”
- 1:10 pm – Close this segment with a song
- 1:13-1:55 pm – Food (Potluck, please RSVP if you can bring a dish to this community event)
- 2 pm-2:45pm- Talking Circles
— “Gentrification” Led by Susan Park
— “Restorative Justice” Led by Malachi & Tatiana; healing, trauma, impact in communities
— “Indigenous Rights” Led by Rafael Jesús González
Youth from Bay Peace & Music
- 3:00-3:30 pm Bay Peace; Led by Willanona & Tatiana
- 3:30-4:30 pm Hip Hop with Red Star & Anthony Sul
- 4:30-5:00 pm Close
Food will be locally sourced. Donations are greatly appreciated. If you care to donate to this event it will go toward street permit, ceremonial needs, and food to begin with. A little goes a long way. Donation instructions is of their Facebook event page.