East Bay Parks 80th Anniversary Celebration & Live Bluegrass | Tilden Park
>> Want to see our Top Picks for this week instead?
Tilden Little Farm | Central Park Dr, Berkeley, CA 94708
Submitted by the Event Organizer
In 1934, citizens of the East Bay voted to preserve open space, improving the quality of life for future generations. Bring your family and friends to celebrate the 80th Anniversary of the East Bay Regional Park District with a day of music, games, crafts, and fun at the unique park where it all began: Tilden Regional Park in the Berkeley hills.
Activities on Sunday, September 28, 2014:
- Meet a pig, a goat, or a chicken at the Little Farm. Help crank some ice cream, enjoy it, then “stroll it off” with the Passport to History walk to beautiful Jewel Lake and earn a prize.
- Enjoy live bluegrass music with the Alhambra Valley Band and The Harkenbacks. Beloved children’s troubadour David Maloney will entertain all ages with his guitar and original songs.
- There will be blacksmith demonstrations and even a mini Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) camp where kids can try their hand at sawing logs and making shingles, echoing the work done in the 1930s to create the park.
- See recent improvements to the Environmental Education Center and Little Farm while you visit including restroom updates, new walking paths, and fresh paint and carpet in the EEC.
- Participate in the nature activities, apple cider pressing, arts and crafts, and old-fashioned games on the lawn.
- Meet Park District firefighters and get up close to a fire truck.
- They will celebrate with a cake at 12:30 pm. If you’re hungry for more substantial fare, Pacific Fine Food will be on site with delicious food for sale. Collectible anniversary lapel pins will be available while supplies last.