United We Dance (and Walk) for Sexual Assault Survivors (Lake Merritt)
>> Want to see our Top Picks for this week instead?
Lake Merritt Pergola | 599 El Embarcadero Road, Oakland, CA
Submitted by the Event Organizer
“Here’s a chance to dance our way
Out of our constrictions…
With the groove our only guide
We shall all be moved
Ready or not here we come
Gettin’ down on”
– Funkadelic, One Nation Under a Groove (our anthem)
What would it be like for a group of people who all share a story of being sexually assaulted to come together, to walk, and to dance? F****** powerful and joyful with a sense of knowing, “you are not alone” – that’s our hope.
As survivors ourselves, and in honor of Sexual Assault Awareness Month, we want to create an experience where we can move our bodies exactly how we want. Where we can celebrate. Where we can connect to ourselves and each other. Where we can move forward, together. All the while, walking and dancing to a collective playlist. Yup, y’all choose the music!
However you want to move, walk, dance, pause, is welcome! All genders are welcome. If you have access needs* please message us.
*An access need is something a person needs to communicate, learn, and take part in an activity. Many people have access needs. Examples can include wheelchair access, sound amplification or dimming, sign language interpreter, support staff, more time for walking, etc.
We are so excited to meet you!
~ DETAILS ~
What: This will be a walk + dance around Lake Merritt. The total loop is 3.4 miles and depending on group pace + needs we will go as far as we can. You are also welcome to depart early should you need or want to. The following is our intended schedule.
- 10:00 – 10:30 am: meet @ The Pergola at Lake Merritt for intros and welcoming
- 10:30 – 11:15 am: walk and dance around the lake
- 11:15 – 11:30 am: closing
- Sunday, April 30th
- Lake Merritt, Oakland, CA
Playlist: The Spotify playlist is for each of you to add one song you want to listen to. It can be something that makes you feel happy, strong, or just a jam that is “your song.” If you want to contribute to the Playlist but don’t have Spotify, you can message us and we will add your song!
~ FAQ ~
- Who is this dance + walk for? It is for those who have experienced sexual assault. Our intention is to create an affinity group which allows for a certain level of relatedness, understanding, and empowerment while also acknowledging intersectionality.
- What if I want to attend but I don’t live in the area? Or I can’t make it? We’re so glad you want to attend and encourage you to stay connected! If you can’t make it or don’t feel ready to join or live out of the area, you can most certainly access the playlist and dance or walk in the comfort of your home. If we host future events, we will consider making it remote accessible with zoom.
- Is this a therapy group? While we fully support therapy and group therapy, this is not intended to be a processing space. Meaning specifically, this is not a space where we will be sharing our stories of sexual assault or talking a lot about it. The reason for this is because at times that can be re-traumatizing for the individual and/or those listening. What we can offer, and believe, is that by showing up with this level of shared experience while walking and dancing together is enough.
- What if I need support during the event? We will share collective agreements to facilitate safety and respect. We also will have procedures in place to offer people support. An example of this would be a walking companion.
- How far is the walk? The loop around Lake Merritt is 3.4 miles. You do not have to walk the entire loop.
~ ABOUT THE ORGANIZERS / FACILITATORS ~
Leila + Jasmine (bios coming soon…)
Disclaimer: Please double check event information with the event organizer as events can be canceled, details can change after they are added to our calendar, and errors do occur.