2013 Debardchery: Archery, Bardic Poetry & Silly Games | Golden Gate Park
>> Want to see our Top Picks for this week instead?
Golden Gate Park, Archery Field | 47th Ave and Fulton Street, San Francisco, CA
The Shire of Cloondara (the San Francisco branch of the Society for Creative Anachronisms, who re-create the customs, combat, and courtesies of the Middle Ages) invites you to attend “DeBARDchery,” the annual archery and bardic tournament in Golden Gate Park from 10 am to 5 pm on Saturday, August 17, 2013.
That means you get to watch people dressed in middle ages garb match their mirth, merriment, and archery skills (including using novelty targets) followed by a medieval poetic composition.
Saturday, August 17, 2013 | 10 am to 5 pm
Archery Range, in Golden Gate Park, 47th Ave. & Fulton St., SF
Wear Medieval Garb: Yes, ALL participants are required to make an attempt at medieval clothing. Free medieval loaner tunics and accessories are available, but it’s best to put together your own medieval ensemble beforehand.
Bring a dish to share: There will be a free lunch, but please contribute a dish based on your name: A-J: side/salad; K-R: dessert; S-Z: main dish. The hungry archers will appreciate it.
2013 Debardchery Schedule
- 10 am: Gate opens
- 11 am: Archers’ Auction – Bid on the prowess of your favorite archers: you may win fabulous medieval-themed prizes.
- 11:30 pm: Archery Tournament – The novelty shoot starts in the late morning. This year’s theme is the 7 Deadly Sins, and they’ll target several 2-D animal targets and one 3-D animal target representing greed, envy, sloth, wrath, lust, gluttony, and pride – the most pernicious sin of all. Archers of beginning, intermediate, and expert skill levels are all welcome.
- Free Lunch: Yes, there will be a free lunch. Following the novelty shoot (in the early afternoon), free noshing food will be available.
- Bardic Tournament: Following lunch, there will be a bardic competition. Come present a story, song, or poem with the 2013 theme of “Womanly Virtues” (which are needed to defeat those seven deadly sins): you may become the Bard of Cloondara for a year (which, basically means you get to choose next year’s bardic and archery themes). And, in composing your Bardic entry, please remember, this is a family event.
- Silly Games: Following the Bardic Tourney, silly games suitable for children and adults alike will be played.
- Royal Round: Following the Silly Games, archers are invited back to the bales for a medieval timed archery shoot in mid to late afternoon.
- 5 pm: Gate Closes
If you’re an archer, bring your bow and arrows (no compound or crossbows, please). If you’re a bard, bring your dramatic and musical talents (no amplified sound please, but lutes, flutes, lyres, tambourines, and guitars are welcome).