International Talk Like a Pirate Day 2017
>> Want to see our Top Picks for this week instead?
Scallywags and sailors alike unite every year on September 19 to don their seafaring finest and to lend their conversation some swagger in honor of International “Talk Like a Pirate Day.”
2017 Bay Area Pirate Day Events
Free donuts for pirates at Krispy Kreme– Cancelled for 2017 – Arrrghhh.
- Free Deep Fried Twinkies at Long John Silvers – Confirmed for 2017
There’s LJS stores in South San Francisco, Richmond, Vallejo, Mountain View – make sure you call the store first just to make sure they are participating. Long John Silver store locator.
Although there are no “official” events planned, check out an international map on the Pirate Day website for any parties in the Bay Area or just to utilize the “Pirate Party Kit” and other handy links (including “Pick Up Pirates”) to plan your very own swashbuckling soiree.
2017 International Talk Like A Pirate Day
September 19, 2017
How to Talk Like A Pirate
Here’s some basic words and phrases no self-respecting land lubbing pirate can live without. Master them, and you can face Talk Like a Pirate Day with a smile on your face and a parrot on your shoulder, if that’s your thing.
- Ahoy! – “Hello!”
- Avast! – Stop and give attention. It can be used in a sense of surprise, “Whoa! Get a load of that!” which today makes it more of a “Check it out” or “No way!” or “Get off!”
- Aye! – “Why yes, I agree most heartily with everything you just said or did.”
- Aye aye! – “I’ll get right on that sir, as soon as my break is over.”
- Arrr! – This one is often confused with arrrgh, which is of course the sound you make when you sit on a belaying pin. “Arrr!” can mean, variously, “yes,” “I agree,” “I’m happy,” “I’m enjoying this beer,” “My team is going to win it all,” “I saw that television show, it sucked!” and “That was a clever remark you or I just made.” And those are just a few of the myriad possibilities of Arrr!
- Beauty – The best possible pirate address for a woman. Always preceded by “me,” as in, “C’mere, me beauty,” or even, “me buxom beauty,” to one particularly well endowed. You’ll be surprised how effective this is.
Ready for more?
Tackle Advanced Pirate Lingo….
**Annual Event**, *Top Pick*, Fun & Games