Home » *Top Pick*, Club / DJ, In Person, LGBTQ+, Live Music, Pride
4.1 Mile Laser Rainbow Flag Returns to SF (June 23-25)
Submitted by the Event Organizer
The wondrous rainbow flag made up of massive laser space cannons will again flood San Francisco’s Market Street on Friday, June 23, 2023 and will continue for three nights, ending Sunday.
Called WELCOME (#WelcomeSF), the 4.1-mile installation by arts nonprofit Illuminate debuted last year to great fanfare, setting off celebrations up and down the length of Market Street.
With a 49-foot width and a length exceeding four miles, the installation will consist of six colored laser beams (purple, blue, green, yellow, orange, red) shooting horizontally above Market Street, rising at a subtle 3-degree angle to crest at Twin Peaks and represents the world’s largest pride flag.
This year, plans call for 12 laser space cannons, double the number of last year’s installation, creating an even more vibrant rainbow flag. A pre-lighting event is also planned from 7:00 – 9:00 pm at the base of the installation at Harry Bridges Plaza (near the Ferry Building). Speakers will include San Francisco Mayor London Breed, Illuminate CEO Ben Davis, and Speaker Emerita Nancy Pelosi. The lasers will be turned on at approximately 9:20pm.
The World’s Largest Laser Pride Flag
Friday to Sunday, June 23-25, 2023
Lit nightly from 9:15pm(ish) until sunrise)
Ferry Building, down Market Street to Twin Peaks, SF
Grand lighting ceremony
– Friday, June 23, 2023 | 7-10pm
– Harry Bridges Plaza (in front of Ferry Building), SF
– DJs, Circus acts, a 120+ strong human pride flag, rainbow torch arrival by motorcycle, grand lighting (9:20p) and outdoor dance party until 10pm led by Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence and Love Bizarre DJs
Why is SF’s Laser Pride Flag so special?
- 12 laser space cannons will create six lines of color (red, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple)
- The laser space cannons will be elevated about 30-feet above the ground (at Harry Bridges Plaza) and will rise at a 3-degree angle, reaching over the top of San Francisco’s Twin Peaks.
- The laser flag is 49 feet wide and length is 4.1 miles (over the top of Twin Peaks)
- SIX TIMES more visible than the brightest ordinary searchlight
- The “Laser Space Cannon” is the brightest RGB full color laser in the world at over 450 watts each RGB, Full Color, laser power.
View this post on Instagram
Disclaimer: Please double check event information with the event organizer as events can be canceled, details can change after they are added to our calendar, and errors do occur.
Categories: *Top Pick*
, Club / DJ
, In Person
, Live Music
Address: 1 Ferry Bldg., San Francisco, CA