Home » **Annual Event**, *Top Pick*, Charity & Volunteering, Dia de los Muertos, East Bay, Eating & Drinking, Kids & Families, Live Music
2014 Day of the Dead: Procession, Dinner & Live Music | Oakland
Submitted by the Event Organizer
Celebrate your beloved dead and the autumn time when the veil grows thin by creating altars and an earth mandala, joining in on a procession and dinner, and enjoying live music in North Oakland’s Dover Park.
2014 North Oakland Day of the Dead
Saturday, November 1, 2014 | 3-7 pm
Dover Park, Dover at 58th St, Oakland
Local Oakland musicians and performers will provide an entertaining and ambient environment while you honor, create, sing, and play. A drum procession will guide you through the neighborhood to spread the festivities about.
- 3 pm: Altar and mandala creating, face painting & children’s activities – Please bring candles, flowers, and photos to contribute to the altar.
- 4 pm: Procession
- 5 pm: Blessing
- 6 pm: Dinner – Come enjoy a candle-lit dinner of homemade tamales, pan de muerto and Mexican hot chocolate.
- 3-3:30 pm: Jane Colman & Nicholas Brown, flute & guitar duet
- 3:35 -4:10 pm: Jenny Holland & Crew, youth pop music
- 4:15-4:45 pm: The Dead Crow Show ~ Performance by the Oakland Improv Collective
- 4:45-6 pm: Procession Sons and Daughters of Orpheus
- 4;45-5 pm: Gathering in park
- 5-5:30 pm: Procession
- 5:30-5:45 pm: Gathering for big circle in park
- 5:45-6 pm: Blessing
- 5-5:30 pm: (in the park) Mud Fence, old time music
- 6 ish -7 pm: Con Permiso Mariachi
Facepainting: Audette Sophia
Mandala: Ruby Blume
Altars: IUH central altar (Alexa Davis & Diane Driscoll), Animal altar (Jenny Holland) and others in the works.
Hot Chocolate by Maria and friends
Dinner: Seth Peterson & Others, Kitchen Crew Chief: Mik Jew
Learn and do workshops: They’ll be teaching and prepping for the Day of the Dead Harvest Feast.
Tamales Making with K.Ruby Blume
Wednesday, October 29, 10 am to 2 pm, North Oakland
Learn to mix masa and roll up the tamales.
RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org
Cooking for Celebration with Seth Peterson
Thursday October 30, 6-9 pm
Learn knife skills and traditional cookery following Weston A. Price’s cooking: whey fermented salsa, the why and how of soaking grains and beans, bone broths, etc.
RSVP to email@example.com
Sign up to volunteer for set-up, hot chocolate stand, food serving, clean up, altar, activities and more. They also need donations of paper and plastic ware, candles, altar objects, flowers, produce (cabbage, tomatoes, peppers, onions, cilantro) lard, vegetable shortening, beans, rice, hot chocolate fixings and more. Cash donations are also accepted.
Disclaimer: Please double check event information with the event organizer as events can be canceled, details can change after they are added to our calendar, and errors do occur.
Categories: **Annual Event**
, *Top Pick*
, Charity & Volunteering
, Dia de los Muertos
, East Bay
, Eating & Drinking
, Kids & Families
, Live Music
Address: Dover St. and 57th St., Oakland, CA